Call for papers: Graduate Colloquium on Theatre Translation, Queen Mary, London

  • gsbrodie
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2009
      GRADUATE CONFERENCE funded by the AHRC and the GRADUATE SCHOOL IN HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES, QUEEN MARY, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON

      ***Theatre translation as collaboration: re-routing text through performance***

      Saturday 20 March 2010 at Queen Mary, University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS

      Keynote speakers: Professor J. Michael Walton and playwright Colin Teevan

      Round table chaired by critic Aleks Sierz, featuring playwright Martin Crimp and theatre practitioners tba

      Afternoon workshop led by GrĂ¡inne Byrne of Scarlet Theatre

      Call for Papers

      Deadline for 200 word abstracts: 18 December 2009

      The aim of this one-day graduate colloquium is to explore the collaborative creative processes involved in the re-routing of text from page to stage: what happens when a text is translated for performance?

      We wish to examine the act of theatre translation in all its multiple variations, including versions, adaptations and inter-semiotic transfers (for example from film or book to stage). How does research engage with the collaborative nature of translating for performance?

      We hope to expand and facilitate the dialogue between theatre practitioners and academics, illuminating the practice/theory debate. To this end we particularly welcome papers that of themselves contain a practical or performance element or that examine how we construct performance and how a performance text might be written and received.

      All forms of theatre translation (inter- and intra-lingual and inter-medial) will be considered. The main focus is to address and investigate both overt and implicit collaboration in translating for performance.

      We invite abstracts for 20 minute presentations from all graduate students currently working in Theatre (including dance and design), Translation, Performance or Language Studies, or related areas.

      All enquiries and abstracts to translation-colloquium@....

      Please include with your abstract a brief biography (50 words).

      Organising Committee

      Geraldine Brodie g.brodie@...
      Kate Eaton k.r.eaton@...
      Margherita Laera m.laera@...