Directionality study

  • Anthony Pym
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2009
      Greetings from San Diego, California.
      > I am presently a Research Scientist at the Laboratory for Language and
      > Cognitive Neuroscience where I do research on the cognitive processes
      > of interpreting. One of my current research projects is on
      > interpreting and language direction, which you have written about
      > extensively. I'm also interested in exploring the issue of interpreter
      > performance when working into their L1 or their L2. This study
      > includes a survey, an experimental component (examining reaction times
      > for lexical translation) and a text interpretation study.
      > I have distributed the survey to signed language interpreters and
      > received an excellent return rate - over 700 interpreters. I am now
      > trying to replicate the survey with spoken language interpreters, but
      > I simply don't know the spoken language interpreting world very well.
      > I've sent the survey to a number of professional organizations and
      > I'm also asking some individuals if they would be willing and able to
      > distribute it among their circle of influence. Barry Olsen said that
      > he would help me distribute the survey through AIIC and TAALS, and
      > others are helping with the Monterey Institute and interpreting
      > organizations in the U.S., but I am still seeking all the distribution
      > possibilities that are available.
      > I believe the findings will help inform our work in the field of
      > interpreting.
      > Below is a copy of my letter explaining the survey. Within the
      > body of the letter is a link to the short web-based survey.
      > With highest regards
      > Brenda Nicodemus
      > __________________________________
      > Brenda Nicodemus, Ph.D.
      > Laboratory for Language and Cognitive Neuroscience (LLCN)
      > San Diego State University
      > 6495 Alvarado Road, Suite #200
      > San Diego, CA 92120
      > V: 619-594-1355
      > VP: 619-594-8067
      > http://emmoreylab.sdsu.edu

      Dear Colleague:

      I'm writing to ask for your help with a research study on interpreting. Specifically, I'm interested in your experiences with interpreting between your "A" language and your "B" language. I am asking interpreters to complete a short, on-line survey about this topic. The survey has 31 questions and takes approximately 10-12 minutes to complete.

      I work as researcher in the Laboratory for Language and Cognitive Neuroscience at San Diego State University in the U.S. One focus of our research is the cognitive process of bilinguals who are working as interpreters. This survey will provide new perspectives about the role of language direction in interpreters' work. We have completed the survey with signed language interpreters and we are now replicating it with interpreters who work in spoken languages.

      Your participation in this study is voluntary and your responses will be anonymous. If you are willing to participate, it's simple -- just go to the website and begin! The website is:

      There is no specific deadline for participation -- I will be collecting responses over the next several monthsÂ…so please, participate when you can.

      If you have any questions regarding this survey, please contact me at bnicodemus@.... You may also contact the director of the lab, Dr. Karen Emmorey at kemmorey@.... Finally, if you're interested in learning more about the lab, please visit our website at emmoreylab.sdsu.edu.

      Thank you in advance for supporting this research project on the cognitive processes of interpreters. We couldn't do it without you.

      Brenda Nicodemus, Ph.D.
      Laboratory for Language and Cognitive Neuroscience (LLCN)
      San Diego State University

      p.s. Sometimes the people who participate in research never get to see the results. I'd like to change that. If you send me your email address, I will put you on a mailing list so that you get the survey results once they are compiled. Your email address and survey responses will remain completely anonymous. Just send an email to bnicodemus@... and put "Send Survey Results" in the subject line.

      Thank you again!