Position in Interpreting Studies, Amherst

  • Anthony Pym
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2008
      Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:29:15 -0500
      From: Edwin Gentzler <gentzler@...>
      Subject: Job Opening-UMass
      To: "Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@unspecified-domain

      Dear friends, I am pleased to announce the following job opening in
      interpreting studies at UMass Amherst. Your help in notifying
      qualified candidates is greatly appreciated. Regards, Edwin

      JOB OPENING: Assistant Professor of Interpreting Studies, University
      of Massachusetts Amherst

      The Program in Comparative Literature, which houses a dynamic
      Translation Studies Program, and is a unit of the Department of
      Languages, Literatures, and Cultures, invites applications for a
      tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor, to begin
      September 2009. The successful candidate will teach simultaneous
      interpreting and will also strengthen the department's offerings in
      literary and cultural studies. Course assignments will include a two-
      semester interpreter training sequence in a language-neutral
      environment, plus a combination of undergraduate and graduate courses
      in Comparative Literature/ Translation Studies, taught in English.
      Language expertise in at least one of the following is required:
      Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, or Spanish.
      We seek candidates who have a strong background in interpreting
      studies theory and practice as well as strong scholarly promise. We
      welcome interdisciplinary approaches. Expertise in multimedia
      interpreting, prior teaching experience with international and
      minority students, and experience in community outreach are desirable
      assets. Ph.D. in hand by September 1, 2009. Salary commensurate with
      qualifications and experience.

      Please send letter, CV, three recommendations, statement of teaching
      and research interests, and writing sample to: Prof. Edwin Gentzler,
      chair, Interpreting Studies search committee, Comparative Literature
      (LLC), 430 Herter Hall, 161 President's Dr., University of
      Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst MA 01003-9312. Review of dossiers will
      begin on November 3, 2008, and continue until the position is filled.
      The Department is committed to developing a more diverse faculty,
      student body, and curriculum. The University of Massachusetts Amherst
      is a member of the Five College Consortium, along with Amherst,
      Smith, Hampshire, and Mount Holyoke Colleges and is also a member the
      Academic Career Network, a resource for dual career couples. The
      University of Massachusetts is an Affirmative Action/Equal
      Opportunity employer. Women and members of minority groups are
      encouraged to apply.

      For more information on the department, please see our website at
      http://www.umass.edu/llc/index.html. For further questions, please
      contact Edwin Gentzler at gentzler@...