"Vocationalization"

  • John Kearns
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
      Dear ITIT-ers,

      I wonder whether anyone could anyone suggest me some reading on a topic which - for want of a better term - I'll call the 'vocationalization of university education', especially (though certainly not exclusively) in relation to language studies / translator training.

      What I'm thinking of are the changes which certain tertiary educational systems (and universities therein) have to go through to move from, say, language studies in an 'academic' / belletristic mode, to language studies which, for example, can train employable translators. I'd be interested in something fairly general regarding the ideological sea-changes which need to take place, both within and outside individual institutions, for such changes to arise.

      Sorry if this is a tall order or if it reveals a naivety in my awareness of education studies - it sounds like a big, obvious topic, but I'm not sure where to start on it.

      All suggestions gratefully appreciated.

      Amities,

      John Kearns
      Centre for Translation and Textual Studies
      Dublin City University

    • amitkoch
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
        Dear John,
        You may find some help in my article "Moving translator training from
        the humanities to the social sciences: an Israeli case study", in Cay
        Dollerup and Anne Loddegaard's book - Teaching translation and
        interpreting - training' talent and experience, John Benjamins 1992, 93-97.
        From my long experience as a translator trainer I have found the
        combination of up to date translation theory and an attentive ear to the
        changing need of the market followed by the exclusive use of authentic
        texts and their translations as the most useful way to train translators
        able to cope with real world demands.
        Good luck!
        Hannah Amit-Kochavi,
        Beit Berl college,
        Israel

        John Kearns wrote:

        >Dear ITIT-ers,
        >
        >I wonder whether anyone could anyone suggest me some reading on a topic which - for want of a better term - I'll call the 'vocationalization of university education', especially (though certainly not exclusively) in relation to language studies / translator training.
        >
        >What I'm thinking of are the changes which certain tertiary educational systems (and universities therein) have to go through to move from, say, language studies in an 'academic' / belletristic mode, to language studies which, for example, can train employable translators. I'd be interested in something fairly general regarding the ideological sea-changes which need to take place, both within and outside individual institutions, for such changes to arise.
        >
        >Sorry if this is a tall order or if it reveals a naivety in my awareness of education studies - it sounds like a big, obvious topic, but I'm not sure where to start on it.
        >
        >All suggestions gratefully appreciated.
        >
        >Amities,
        >
        >John Kearns
        >Centre for Translation and Textual Studies
        >Dublin City University

        >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar.
        >Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free!
        >http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/UL0olB/TM

      • Daniel Gouadec
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
          If you can read French, can I have your e-mail?