      From: W. Fred Roy III [mailto:wfroy@...]
      Sent: February 10, 2003 7:14 AM
      To: itit@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [itit] Natural bilinguals...practitioners point of view...

      I'm entering this conversation without having the benefit of having read in toto all that's been said before. With that in mind...
      I work in English and American Sign Language and our profession has developed quite an opinion of "bilinguals-who are not educated in both their languages..."
      It appears that these interpreters do quite well, until placed in language structures, that on the surface, require educational experiences that go beyond their education. Seems so obvious now that I read over it, but quite frankly, it appears our profession, world-wide, is still struggling with the educational formula for interpreters/translators:
      FORMULA:
      Required: Bilingual/Bicultural Fluency in two or more languages-Undergraduate degree, liberal arts, major in two or more languages, Required: Masters Degress in Interpretation/Translation Theory, Research and Practice, with a full 1-3 year mentored practicum with Certification/Licensure as Exit Examination.
      Without a constant and vigilant focus on the above, the "turn-stile" repetitive discussion on how to "patch" or "fix" already weak educational systems will doggedly chase us into our retirement!
      Fred

      ----
      W. Fred Roy III
      5108 North Illinois Street