711Re: [itit] Translation ability of natural bilinguals

  • Dr Chrys Chrystello
    Jan 31, 2003
      Ref. B. Mossop's question:

      I also haven't got bibliography here for you, but I can tell you what
      happened when my
      kids were learning 2 L1s -
      one in Australia refused to answer back in Portuguese until she was 2 1/2 ,
      the other one in Portugal refused to speak English until he was 5. In
      Portugal, in the beginning the words came out indiferently in one or the
      other, so moon was preferred to lua, car instead of carro, etc... Both are
      more or less fluent but the language of their environment is absolutely
      prevalent . The one in Australia is a poor communicator in Portuguese (she
      is 16 1/2 now) the one in Portugal is a poor communicator in English... So
      much for so much work I have put into those children. I have neverspoke to
      them except in the language which was not native to their country of
      residence, thus in Portugal I spoke only English, in Australia only
      Portuguese

      So, from my experience, I would say what you heard is probably not true but
      could happen...

      J. CHRYS CHRYSTELLO (Dr. BSc M.A,)
      Member of AUSIT (FIT); NAATI; AJA/MEEA (IFJ) (Australia); CATS/ACT (Canada);
      ITA; SLP & ALFE (Portugal)
      E-mail: chryschrystello@...; drchryschrystello@...;
      Web homepages: http://www.foreignword.biz/cv/1335.htm
      htpp://oztranslator.homestead.com/
      solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
      they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
      the system manager.
      This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for the
      presence of computer viruses.