522Re: [itit] Questions without answers

  • Vicky Biernacki
    Nov 20 4:07 PM
      Hello everyone,

      I do not have any experience with on-line translation
      programs, but I have been a practicing translator for
      around six years, and am very interested in this
      option in order to get the necessary training in
      translation studies, theory, pedagogy and such. At
      present, I am exploring a remote-mode program based in
      the United States (not in translation, but
      individualized studies) offered by Goddard University.
      The reason I would choose this type of delivery, with
      which I would address Anthony Pym's question about
      e-learning arrangements, is that a) it offers
      flexibility in regards to scheduling and content. This
      is an important issue, since it is hard to find
      spare-time to spend it commuting to school b) the
      student profiles are similar, with all of us being
      working adults, sharing interests and life experiences
      alike. This specific program requires two weeks of
      residency at the school, where the off-campus students
      are required to take a series of workshops and classes
      with the on-campus students. The rest of the time is
      spent engaged in on-line chat discussions with other
      students grouped together according to similar
      interests, and conduct research in order to complete a
      portfolio. Students are expected to send five packages
      of research in the course of a semester, and their
      respective faculty advisor will revise and offer
      further suggestions. Another reason to enroll in an
      on-line program, rather than a traditional one, is
      money. At the University of Wisconsin, for instance,
      an on-site 30-credit MA program costs around $11,000.
      I have the feeling that for a lower price I could
      enroll in a similar program on-line from a college in,
      say, Spain or Latin America. Certainly, good quality
      in a program is the main consideration, and this leads
      me to the reasons why I am still hesitant about
      enrolling in a program on-line. I believe that the
      on-line academic community needs to overcome the fears
      of the students. In the United States at least, and
      this is probably also true in Chile, remote-mode
      education is seen as an inferior alternative to the
      traditional delivery mode. True, students are eager to
      take courses on-line, but in the work field a diploma
      obtained entirely from a traditional school in an
      on-site program will be regarded as more valuable than
      one obtained through remote-mode. Another concern is
      that the school offering remote-mode programs might
      try to enroll as many candidates as possible, and
      overload teachers, leaving them no time for a more
      individualized relationship with the student, which is
      supposed to be one of the advantages of the on-line
      system. This is probably the case in a traditional
      delivery setting (overworked teachers) anyhow, but at
      least there is the limitation of physical space. The
      virtual classrooms has no boundaries, and this fact
      could be tempting for some administrators..

      Best regards,

      Vicky

      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic