435world-wide query

  • Rui Rothe-Neves
    Dec 27, 2000
      Delphi study

      The Faculdade de Letras (UFMG, Brazil) is happy to ask you to cooperate in a
      world-wide query on translation/translator subjective assessment. As you
      know, translation as well as professional evaluation is not an undisputed
      topic in our field. Nonetheless, we evaluate translations and translators
      for practical needs every day.

      Our goal in this query is to overtly present what we do assume at many
      levels when assessing translations and translators. We would like to
      identify a list of non-redundant points which seems GENERALLY important for
      experts in the area to keep in mind. Like you, all participants chosen are
      considered to be leading figures in our field.

      In order to achieve this goal, we planned a Delphi study. This is a
      questionnaire series with usually three rounds. In the first round, which we
      start here, you and many colleagues receive two open questions. The answers
      should be returned and our team will consolidate them into non-overlapping
      points. It is very important to stress that all your answers will be kept
      anonymous. In the second round, we will send you two lists (not necessarily
      at the same time), which summarises the most frequent answers received: a
      list of important topics for translation assessment; and a list of abilities
      and skills we expect from a first-line translator. You will then have the
      opportunity to rank them in order of importance. Finally, you will receive a
      list of points in order of importance, according to the assessment of all
      colleagues, and you will still have the possibility to check them all
      through. Other rounds may become necessary in order to achieve consensus
      (that is, until less then 10% of the topics change in the ranking).

      By the end of the third round, we will also ask you to answer some questions
      about your professional profile. This will enable us to organise the
      databank according to various categories, including country and background,
      so we can compare the answers by various dimensions. We invite you to read
      more about the Delphi technique and its applications in Linstone & Turoff
      (1975).

      The results are to be known by the II International Translators Forum,
      hosted by the Faculdade de Letras in July 2001. We think they may be useful
      in translation research and/or training.

      By answering this message, we assume you want to participate (you may simply
      use "reply", answer the questions and send them back). We ask you also to
      forward this message to colleagues or post it in discussion lists throughout
      the web. WE WILL TAKE MAILINGS SENT UNTIL JANUARY 15th.

      We will be very happy with your cooperation!

      Rui Rothe-Neves
      rothenev@...
      (in charge for this study)

      Any questions should be send directly to:

      delphi@...

      INSTRUCTIONS:
      1. Please, do not think much to answer;
      2. Answers should be based in your PERSONAL EXPERIENCE; if you work as
      translator or as translator trainer, your answers should reflect that
      background.
      3. Include as many LEVELS as you can (e.g., orthographical, lexical, syntax,
      discourse levels etc.);
      4. It is VERY IMPORTANT to spell out the implications you might feel
      important of your answer; for instance, if you want to say "I try to realize
      what kind of reader the translator had" - which is quite unspecific - you
      could perhaps reformulate it into: "I check out whether there are
      informations in that translation that refers me to a reader model (or
      imaginary reader), such as: vocabulary, style, specific grammatical
      constructions", and the like.
      5. Your answers may be as long as you want.

      QUESTION 1: What POINTS do you check out while assessing a translation?

      INSTRUCTIONS:
      1. Please, do not think much to answer;
      2. Answers should be based in your PERSONAL EXPERIENCE; if you work as
      in-house or free-lance translator, your answers should reflect that
      background.
      3. Include as many ACTIVITIES as you can (e.g., building a terminological
      databank, being nice to clients etc.);
      4. It is VERY IMPORTANT to spell out the implications you might feel
      important of your answer; for instance, if you want to say "Translating
      accuratelly" - which is quite unspecific - you could perhaps reformulate it
      by mention of the steps you think one might take in order to be sure, s/he
      is translating accuratelly, e.g.: "get involved in terminological
      discussions with fellow translators".

      QUESTION 2: What abilities and skills do you expect of a first-line
      translator?