3026CFP: Post-Editing of Machine Translation

  • Anthony Pym
    Oct 16, 2013

      CFP: Post-Editing of Machine Translation

      Editors: Sharon O'Brien, DCU and Michel Simard, National Research Council of Canada

      Special issue of Machine Translation (http://www.springer.com/computer/artificial/journal/10590)

      As the adoption of Machine Translation within the global translation industry increases, attention has turned to the task of "post-editing", that is, the revision of raw machine translated output. Until now, post-editing was a relatively uncommon task in the domain of professional translation. The increasing demand for this service has attracted attention from researchers in the related disciplines of translation studies and machine translation, as well as from users of machine translation. Consequently, the number of research and practice-based papers on the topic has increased over the last years, with attention been given to a number of important questions, each touching on various aspects of the task, including cognitive effort, productivity, quality, economics, user interfaces, training and human-computer interaction. The time would appear ripe for a Special Issue dedicated to research on this topic. We encourage researchers that are engaged in innovative, robust and exciting research on post-editing to submit extended papers. We envisage a Special Issue thatshowcases the top current interdisciplinary approaches to research on post-editing. We are seeking collaborations that are experimentally sound, and show awareness of the current state of MT technology with regard to post-editing and of existing industry practices involving that technology.

      TOPICS OF INTEREST

      In particular, we invite contributions that address the following aspects of post-editing:

      - Productivity

      - Quality

      - Active use of post-editing data

      - UI design

      - Automatic and computer-assisted post-editing

      - Economics

      - Ethical Issues (e.g. agency, IP ownership, etc.)

      - Expertise and Training

      - Language-specific issues

      This special issue will provide a forum for this vital research to be published and archived, so that it is accessible to the broad Machine Translation, Human Translation and Computational Linguistics communities.

      SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

      Contributors must send a "Submission Intent" email message to "sharon.obrien@..." by no later than 18 November 2013.

      Contributions will be accepted until 20 January 2014.  Papers should be submitted online directly on the MT journal's submission website:

        http://www.editorialmanager.com/coat/default.asp

      indicating this special issue in Œarticle type┬╣

      Authors should follow the "Instructions for Authors" available on the MT Journal website at:

        http://www.springer.com/computer/artificial/journal/10590

      Submissions should normally be between 15 and 20 pages, but should notexceed 20 pages (excluding references)

      IMPORTANT DATES

      - Intention to submit email: 18 November 2013

      - Paper submission deadline: 20 January 2014

      - Acceptance notifications: 14 March 2014

      - Final versions due: 28 April 2014

      - Expected Publication: September 2014

      CONTACT

      - Please send any inquiries to "sharon.obrien@..." or