1965Doctoral Studies

  • Yves Gambier
    Nov 2 11:57 PM
      DOCTORAL PROGRAMMES IN TRANSLATION STUDIES:
      VIRTUAL FORUM, NOVEMBER 3-14, 2008.

      Where will future translation scholars be educated? What are TS programmes
      like? What is their position within their respective higher education
      institutions and systems? Many issues can be raised when dealing with
      Doctoral studies in translation. In fact, the future of our discipline
      depends on the training of qualified teachers and researchers. More people
      than ever are being trained as translators and interpreters, but more
      research is also needed to promote translation and interpreting. How can we
      look at the future if we do not have relevant doctoral programmes?

      We invite you to participate in the virtual Forum on doctoral programmes in
      Translation Studies, starting today (Monday 3).
      Four speakers have been invited to give short position papers. Please go to
      http://isg.urv.es/publicity/ts_doc/videos.html to listen their recordings.
      We are very grateful for their commitment and would like to thank Susan
      Bassnett (Warwick, UK), Helle Dam (Aarhus, Denmark), Fran├žoise
      Massardier-Kenney (Kent State University, USA) and Anthony Pym (Tarragona,
      Spain).

      The Forum is an opportunity to share ideas, problems, suggestions, to
      understand differences and similarities among programmes, their challenges
      and objectives, and to discuss possible strategies for cooperation.
      Issues such as conditions and procedures for admission, selection
      processes, theoretical courses, compulsory and specific seminars, funding,
      supervision, assessment, language requirements, time-limit for completion
      of the thesis, joint degrees, publications, and employment prospects are
      some of the items we can discuss.

      The Forum is closely linked to the conference hosted by the Centre of TS of
      the University of Vienna (December 5-6, 2008):
      www.univie.ac.at/transvienna/TS_Doc . Results from the virtual debate will
      feed the two days in Vienna.
      The Forum is open to all, but current, past and prospective students in TS
      graduate programmes are warmly invited to contribute.

      Thank you in advance for your active participation!

      The TS Doc Working Group
      Yves Gambier (Turku, Finland), Reine Maylaerts (Leuven, Belgium),
      Christiane Nord (Heidelberg, Germany), Nike Pokorn (Ljubljana, Slovenia)
      and Ubaldo Stecconi (European Commission, Brussels)