1914Conference, Ottawa, May 2009

  • Anthony Pym
    Aug 3, 2008
      Canadian Association for Translation Studies

      22nd CATS Annual Conference

      Carleton University, Ottawa
      May 2009

      Translation and Philosophy

      Call for papers

      The links between translation and philosophy are long established.
      Not only do they point up the often ambiguous relationships between
      specific languages, but they also allow us to reflect on the function
      and purpose of language in general. Had we followed the model of the
      Lagado Academy in Gulliver's Travels (III chapter 5), which proposed
      to abolish words and replace them with things, translation would no
      longer be necessary. Words, with all of their imperfections, are our
      lot, however. Translation, in this important sense, is a child of
      imperfection, of the complex relationships between idioms, and of the
      (very real) limits of their expressive potentialities. In this year's
      conference, we hope to pursue this line of reflection further.

      We need to determine what makes Translation Studies a discipline
      distinct from the philosophy of language, and under what conditions.
      How are theory and practice related? What foundations has Translation
      Studies formulated for itself to ensure the scientific nature of its
      premises and the objective validity of its conclusions, beyond the
      simple comparison of language features in texts? At another level, we
      need to examine the relationship between translation and the logic of
      propositions, to study the meta-language of Translation Studies,
      validate it as "scientific," and evaluate its legitimacy as
      philosophical tool for furthering the discipline.

      A joint session with the Canadian Association of Philosophy will be
      held.

      Proposals or abstracts of approximately 500 words should be sent to
      the following addresses by 15 September 2008 Charles Le Blanc
      (conference organizer): charles.leblanc@...
      <mailto:charles.leblanc@...> OR Georges L. Bastin (CATS President
      and conference co-organizer colloque): georges.bastin@...
      <mailto:georges.bastin@...>

      Please consult the CATS website for further details:
      http://www.uottawa.ca/associations/act-cats
      <http://www.uottawa.ca/associations/act-cats>

      Accepted proposals will be included in a grants application. A
      selection of papers presented at the conference will be published.

      For further information concerning the CATS conference, please
      contact Marc Charron: marc.charron@...
      <mailto:marc.charron@...> , University of Ottawa, President of
      the Program Committee.

      Please submit the following information with your proposal:

      NAME:

      PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATION:

      MAILING ADDRESS:

      TELEPHONE NUMBER: