1632Re: [itit] Literature about cultural realia

  • Outi Paloposki
    Dec 4, 2006
      Dear Pieter,

      I suggest you start with consulting bibliographies. There are very good ones
      in Translation Studies these days, both printed and online. St. Jerome
      Publishers in Manchester have for years published Translation Studies
      Abstracts, which I am sure you will be able to find in at least some library
      in Leuven. It is also available online, as is Benjamins' Translation
      Studies Bibliography, a very good one, too. Just to check I consulted it for
      "realia" (try other keywords as well) and got 33 hits. One work that I was
      surprised was missing though is Pekka Kujamäki's Deutsche Stimmen für Sieben
      Brüder (1998, Peter Lang), a study of Finnish realia in different
      translations into German of the Finnish author Aleksis Kivi's classic work.
      An article based on the book has appeared in Target a few years back.

      Online bibliographies usually cost, but your university or department
      library may have a licence for students to use.

      Your supervisor probably is from outside the TS community as s/he did not
      orient you to these bibliographies. Perhaps you can find a peer group
      comprising of other PhD studends within TS nearby? There is also good
      methodological discussion on the European Society of Translation Studies
      website http://www.est-translationstudies.org/. Another useful link is the
      website of Anthony Pym, the founder of the [itit] discussion site:
      http://www.tinet.org/~apym/.

      Wishing you success in your research,
      Outi Paloposki
      University of Helsinki