surgery

  • runninggirl2356
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 5 12:51 PM
      HI,
      New to this group, but no stranger to ITP problems. Thinking abou the
      surgery. Wanting to know who has had it, what the result was, the
      recovery and anything else...
      You feedback is greatly appreicated!!!!!
      Sara
    • cherylkurt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 5 3:19 PM
        Sara,
        I had surgery to lengthen my ITBand a year ago January. But, I tried
        many other options before surgery (PT, cortisone, rest). Recovery is taking a
        long time. Before surgery I was an avid cyclist and it was probably an overuse
        injury that caused the problem. I won't really find out if I'm "cured" until
        I try cycling my old routes again when the weather is warmer, which will be
        soon, I hope. My leg, close to my knee, still feels achy much of the time. I'm
        wondering if I will be able to do the hills around where I live without the
        same pain as before.
        After the surgery I had PT and I've been going to a gym to strengthen my
        muscles. I did ride some over last summer, but not hills, usually only
        fairly flat ground from 12 to 25 miles at a time a few days a week at the most. I
        always stretch. At first I iced after every workout. Now, I'll probably start
        out icing after I do a strenuous workout on my "real" bike. Since the cooler
        weather I've been using the semi-recumbent bicycle at the gym.
        I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm feeling unsure of what the
        actual outcome will be when I get on my bike again. Think carefully about choosing
        surgery, and try all other options first.
        Good luck.
        Cheryl

      • Santhosh Heddese
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 5 3:29 PM
          Hello,
          I have had ITBS on both knees for a couple of years now.
          I have seen that my pain is more when I sit with my knees bent, sort of in a crouched position. in this position my knees are over stretched on both ends and this causes a problem in the back of my knee. I dont know if this is connected to the itbs pain that I get when running long distances(at about the 90 minute mark) and has gotten progressively worse.
          I have been to boulder center for sports medicine (BCSM) and have gotten therapy for a while. They did a MRI to see if its a meniscus tear and that came back -ve. However, my problem doesnt go away. ITBS is here to stay and seems like I a gonna have to respect that and tune my running(which I havent much of in a while) to that.
          finally they said that it could be a combination of Patello-femoral-syndrome and ITBS all conspiring together to make my running hell!.
          I usualy roll on a foam roller and that gives me the best relief. However that does not help me run longer or faster.
          Any suggestions are welcome. I see that there is some hope in ART.

          anybody with any ideas?
          I want to run a half marathon this year without pain. I used to do that last year with pain and that aggravated my injury all the more.

          regards
          santhosh

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 6 5:54 AM
            I also had the surgery and now after a year and a half I am still having pain. So I agree be careful about getting the surgery. If there is anything else that you haven't tried I would try it. I my experience I was back running with in about 2 weeks and did not go through PT. That was a mistake by my Dr. and now I am suffering through my long hilly runs and I take meds to weaken the pain.

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Krista LaPan
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 6 7:17 AM
              I had surgery in October of last year - so a year & a half ago... I've run 2 half marthathons, and done a Half-ironman triathlong. My recover was LONG.. I did PT for about 6 months, then started SLOWLY running. I would say it took about a year until I was 100% comfortable that my knee was good to go!

              ashleyrunner@... wrote:
[...]

              ---------------------------------

            • t_bird_0123
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 6 6:28 PM
                Hi,
                I had the surgery (IT band release)exactly 5 wks. ago today! Rehab is
                slow and theres a clicking in my knee but its from scar tissue (I
                think). I am in PT and have been for a few weeks. I am able to x-
                train about 20 min on the elliptical and do some pool workouts. I
                haven't been able to run yet....I was told 6 weeks. (But I am hoping
                I can run tomorrow at PT so I can tell the doc something on Monday)
                Honestly can't tell if the pain is gone or not bc it hurts a lot
                around the scar area but I hope it is just the scar! I can tell the
                band is A LOT looser!! I'd love to hear other ppl's stories too!!

                --- In itbs@yahoogroups.com, Krista LaPan <kristaeverett@...> wrote:

                > I had surgery in October of last year - so a year & a half ago...
                I've run 2 half marthathons, and done a Half-ironman triathlong. My
                recover was LONG.. I did PT for about 6 months, then started SLOWLY
                running. I would say it took about a year until I was 100%
                comfortable that my knee was good to go!

                > ashleyrunner@... wrote:
                > I also had the surgery and now after a year and a half I am still
                having pain. So I agree be careful about getting the surgery. If
                there is anything else that you haven't tried I would try it. I my
                experience I was back running with in about 2 weeks and did not go
                through PT. That was a mistake by my Dr. and now I am suffering
                through my long hilly runs and I take meds to weaken the pain.

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------

              • Krista LaPan
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 7 7:26 AM
                  just be careful about jumping back into running so quickly! Listen to your body... You will feel the scar tissue for a while...

                  t_bird_0123 <bishopt@...> wrote: Hi,
                  I had the surgery (IT band release)exactly 5 wks. ago today! Rehab is
                  slow and theres a clicking in my knee but its from scar tissue (I
                  think). I am in PT and have been for a few weeks. I am able to x-
                  train about 20 min on the elliptical and do some pool workouts. I
                  haven't been able to run yet....I was told 6 weeks. (But I am hoping
                  I can run tomorrow at PT so I can tell the doc something on Monday)
                  Honestly can't tell if the pain is gone or not bc it hurts a lot
                  around the scar area but I hope it is just the scar! I can tell the
                  band is A LOT looser!! I'd love to hear other ppl's stories too!!

                  --- In itbs@yahoogroups.com, Krista LaPan <kristaeverett@...> wrote:

                  > I had surgery in October of last year - so a year & a half ago...
                  I've run 2 half marthathons, and done a Half-ironman triathlong. My
                  recover was LONG.. I did PT for about 6 months, then started SLOWLY
                  running. I would say it took about a year until I was 100%
                  comfortable that my knee was good to go!

                  > ashleyrunner@... wrote:
                  > I also had the surgery and now after a year and a half I am still
                  having pain. So I agree be careful about getting the surgery. If
                  there is anything else that you haven't tried I would try it. I my
                  experience I was back running with in about 2 weeks and did not go
                  through PT. That was a mistake by my Dr. and now I am suffering
                  through my long hilly runs and I take meds to weaken the pain.

                  Service.

                  > ---------------------------------

                  ---------------------------------

                • Kuan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 7 11:29 AM
                    Don't mind me, I'm new. I'm a once a year ITBS sufferer and it usually
                    goes away after resting up for a coupla weeks, but, I'm wondering if
                    massage therapy would help with the scar tissue.

                    Just wondering, and best wishes for a full recovery everyone.

                    Kuan

                    just be careful about jumping back into running so quickly! Listen to
                    your body... You will feel the scar tissue for a while...

                    t_bird_0123 <bishopt@...> wrote: Hi,
                    I had the surgery (IT band release)exactly 5 wks. ago today! Rehab is
                    slow and theres a clicking in my knee but its from scar tissue (I
                    think). I am in PT and have been for a few weeks. I am able to x-
                    train about 20 min on the elliptical and do some pool workouts. I
                    haven't been able to run yet....I was told 6 weeks. (But I am hoping
                    I can run tomorrow at PT so I can tell the doc something on Monday)
                    Honestly can't tell if the pain is gone or not bc it hurts a lot
                    around the scar area but I hope it is just the scar! I can tell the
                    band is A LOT looser!! I'd love to hear other ppl's stories too!!

                    --- In itbs@yahoogroups.com, Krista LaPan <kristaeverett@...> wrote:

                    > I had surgery in October of last year - so a year & a half ago...
                    I've run 2 half marthathons, and done a Half-ironman triathlong. My
                    recover was LONG.. I did PT for about 6 months, then started SLOWLY
                    running. I would say it took about a year until I was 100%
                    comfortable that my knee was good to go!

                    > ashleyrunner@... wrote:
                    > I also had the surgery and now after a year and a half I am still
                    having pain. So I agree be careful about getting the surgery. If
                    there is anything else that you haven't tried I would try it. I my
                    experience I was back running with in about 2 weeks and did not go
                    through PT. That was a mistake by my Dr. and now I am suffering
                    through my long hilly runs and I take meds to weaken the pain.

                    Service.

                    > ---------------------------------

                    ---------------------------------

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    on the web.

                    _____

                    --- http://USFamily.Net/dialup.html - $8.25/mo! -- http://www.usfamily.net/dsl.html - $19.99/mo! ---

                  • Krista LaPan

                      just be careful about jumping back into running so quickly! Listen to
                      your body... You will feel the scar tissue for a while...

                      t_bird_0123 <bishopt@...> wrote: Hi,
                      I had the surgery (IT band release)exactly 5 wks. ago today! Rehab is
                      slow and theres a clicking in my knee but its from scar tissue (I
                      think). I am in PT and have been for a few weeks. I am able to x-
                      train about 20 min on the elliptical and do some pool workouts. I
                      haven't been able to run yet....I was told 6 weeks. (But I am hoping
                      I can run tomorrow at PT so I can tell the doc something on Monday)
                      Honestly can't tell if the pain is gone or not bc it hurts a lot
                      around the scar area but I hope it is just the scar! I can tell the
                      band is A LOT looser!! I'd love to hear other ppl's stories too!!

                      --- In itbs@yahoogroups.com, Krista LaPan <kristaeverett@...> wrote:

                      > I had surgery in October of last year - so a year & a half ago...
                      I've run 2 half marthathons, and done a Half-ironman triathlong. My
                      recover was LONG.. I did PT for about 6 months, then started SLOWLY
                      running. I would say it took about a year until I was 100%
                      comfortable that my knee was good to go!

                      > ashleyrunner@... wrote:
                      > I also had the surgery and now after a year and a half I am still
                      having pain. So I agree be careful about getting the surgery. If
                      there is anything else that you haven't tried I would try it. I my
                      experience I was back running with in about 2 weeks and did not go
                      through PT. That was a mistake by my Dr. and now I am suffering
                      through my long hilly runs and I take meds to weaken the pain.

                      Service.

                      > ---------------------------------

                      ---------------------------------

                      _____

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      on the web.

                      _____

                      --- http://USFamily.Net/dialup.html - $8.25/mo! -- http://www.usfamily.net/dsl.html - $19.99/mo! ---

                      Iliotibial band syndrome Itbs

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 7 3:11 PM
                        I have been struggling with ITBS for over a year now, and basically can't run
                        at all without pain in my knee, shin splint-like numbness that sometimes goes
                        into my toes, and basically feeling miserable.

                        I am trying deep tissue massage, and may also try active release therapy if
                        the massage helps at all.

                      • t_bird_0123
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 9 6:16 PM
                          Would doing hard, deep tissue massage over the scar be dangerous??