Re: [italianfood] Re: recipe request

  • BirdsEtc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2000
      Hello from sunny Florida ~

      Years ago, when my husband and I were living in Germany, we had good friends
      of ours who were Italians from New York City. The food Carolyn could cook --
      wowee, was it ever good. Here's the recipe she used for her Braciola, which
      she was kind enough to share with me. She'd gotten it from her Mom who is the
      Shirley in the recipe. It's delicious, but it does take time to prepare and
      cook. Well worth it though, very well worth it.

      Braciola by Shirley

      2 oz. bread sticks
      4 oz. prosciutto or Canadian Bacon, finely chopped
      4 oz. provolone cheese, shredded
      1/2 cup pine nuts
      1/4 cup olive oil
      1/2 tsp. dried parsley
      1/4 tsp. salt
      1/4 tsp. pepper
      1 lb. beef tenderloin, cut into 4 pieces
      4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
      1/4 cup olive oil
      2 16 oz. cans tomatoes, cut up
      1 6 oz. can tomato paste
      6 large basil laves

      Crumble bread sticks into a mixing bowl. Cover with warm water. Let soak for
      2 to 3 minutes or until soft. Drain. Stir in prostitute, provolone, pine
      nuts, 1/4 cup oil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Set aside.

      Pound beef with a meat mallet to 1/4 inch thickness. Spoon prosciutto mix
      onto beef. Starting at the short side, roll up meat jelly roll style. tie
      beef rolls with a sturdy string.

      In a large saucepan cook garlic in 1/4 cup oil till tender but not brown. Add
      beef rolls to hot oil. Cook over high heat till mat is brown, turning to
      brown evenly. Stir in tomatoes, tomato past and basil. Bring to the boil,
      reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour or till sauce is desired consistency
      and meat is tender. remove meat from tomato mixture and remove the string.
      Serve meat with tomato mixture.

      (I always put a healthy sized pinch of red pepper flakes in the sauce. We
      like this over linguini, with lots of garlic bread and Parmesan cheese to go
      over the top, and a big salad.)

      And life goes on ...
      Lillian
      BirdsEtc@... Tampa, Florida