Re: [israel-food] Bisquick Equivalent

  • Ruth Baks
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
      Homemade Biscuick (pareve baking mix)
      from http://www.tastesalike.com

      Ingredients:
      5 cups flour
      2 1/2 T baking powder
      2 T sugar
      2 T salt
      1 T cream of tartar
      1 C shortening

      Directions:
      Sift dry ingresients together. Cut in shortening with
      a pastry blender until it resembles corse crumbs.
      Store in airtight container or freeze up to 6 months.

      At 8:27 PM +0200 10/31/06, Sarah Meir wrote:
      >I've got a recipe that calls for Bisquick. Rather than hunt down a box
      >(Tayari Bros. does import it), I was wondering whether self-raising flour
      >could be used as an equivalent, and if not, what could?

      .
    • Mirjam Weiss
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
        --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah Meir" <sarahm@...> wrote:

        > I've got a recipe that calls for Bisquick. Rather than hunt down a
        box
        > (Tayari Bros. does import it), I was wondering whether self-raising
        flour
        > could be used as an equivalent, and if not, what could?
        >
        > %%%%% Sarah in Jerusalem %%%%%

        Here's a recipe for a Bisquick clone, should help.

        http://www.recipezaar.com/35950

        -- Mirj
      • suellen
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
          The following is my recipe for "Bisquick" mix that I've been making for
          over 25 years. It's cheaper than real Bisquick, it's also pareve and
          it's every bit as good as the real thing.

          Sue Epstein

          ===========

          Homemade "Bisquick" Biscuit Mix

          From: "Simply Delicious" by Sue Epstein (moi)

          This mixture can be made ahead and kept in the freezer.

          2 cups flour
          2 tablespoons baking powder
          1/2 teaspoon salt
          1/2 cup very cold margarine

          Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Process
          in the food processor, using on-and-off turns until margarine is the
          size of very small peas and distributed throughout dry ingredients.
          Don't overprocess ir it will become a dough-ball.

          To make biscuits, combine 1 cup mix and 1/4 cup liquid (water or milk).
          Stir with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened and dough
          forms a ball. Knead dough on lightly floured surface 8-10 times. roll
          out with a rolling pin and cut with a floured glass or cookie cutter.
          Place together on ungreased baking sheet and bake in preheated 400
          degree F. oven for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool
          slightly on wire rack.

          If lighter, fluffier biscuits are desired, substitute milk for the water
          and decrease baking temperature by 50 degrees F. and increase baking
          time by approximately 4 minutes. If drop biscuits are desired, increase
          the water slightly to produce a softer dough. Drop onto greased baking
          sheet.

          --
          Sue Epstein
          POB 1082

          Freelance food writer, cookbook author, recipe developer and cookbook reviewer.
        • Aviva
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
            This is a homemade version of Bisquick

            Bisquick is a combination of hydrogenated fat, powdered milk, bleached white flour, baking powder and salt (Betty Crocker, the manufacturer of Bisquick, declines to list the exact ingredients on its website). The problem is that Bisquick, despite its name, makes pretty lousy biscuits. It makes perfectly okay pancakes and such, but only if you don't compare them to ones made from scratch, which are a thousand times better.
            It's really easy to make your own homemade version of Bisquick (this recipe courtesy of Kristi Gross):

            5 pounds all purpose flour
            3/4 cup baking powder
            3 T. salt
            2 cups powdered milk
            1 T. cream of tartar
            4 cups shortening = 2 lbs.
            1/2 cup sugar (optional -- I would leave it out.)

            Sift all dry ingredients together 3 times. Cut in shortening until mix is consistency of corn meal. Store in covered container at room temperature. Try to use up within six months or so.

            You could also make this with butter instead of shortening. If you do, store the mix in the refrigerator and try to use it up within a few weeks.

            To Use:
            1 cup mix + 1/2 cup water or milk = pancakes for 2 people
            1 cup mix + 1/4 cup water or milk = biscuits for 2 people (knead, roll, cut, bake 450-10 min.)

            This will work okay. However, I prefer to make real baking powder biscuits.

          • Annice Grinberg
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
              Sarah asked:

              I've got a recipe that calls for Bisquick. Rather than hunt down a box
              (Tayari Bros. does import it), I was wondering whether self-raising flour
              could be used as an equivalent, and if not, what could?

              There are several recipes for this at
              http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blmisc42.htm

              Annice

            • tasyazvi
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
                To each cup of self-rising flour you need to add about 1/4 cup of shortening/margarine.

              • Donna Moncharsh
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
                  my bisquick equivalent is horrifically easy:

                  1 large bag self rising flour ( whole wheat or white)
                  2 "mechema" parve margerine

                  process until margerine isn't apparent. refrigerate.

                  for small amounts of "bisquick" , plain self rising flour can be
                  substituted.

                  I have been on a bisquick binge- including the classic impossible pies using
                  soy milk as a sustitute.

                  Plain biscuits are 2 cups of mix, 2/3 cup water, salt - mix in a bowl, pat
                  out to about 1/2 inch thickness on floured counter, cut in squares. Place on
                  baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake at 185 for about 15-20 minutes.

                  using a stove top waffle iron:
                  2 cups mix
                  3T oil
                  1 egg
                  1.5-2 cups club soda
                  (.5 cups sugar, good sprinkle of cinnamon- optional )