Oils and Fats

  • tsipiamiri
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2003
      First of all SO MANY theories about with regard to fats and oils
      that all I can say is each man/woman for his/her self. No one knows
      anything anymore, you just have to use common sense. I just heard
      from a friend who is VERY much into the oil/fat business that Canola
      is, as of this moment OUT.
      As far as availibility of coconut oil, that was the ONLY oil
      available for Pesach when I was growing up here years ago. Could it
      have been totally taken off the market?
      As far as "far out" flours are concerned, the Eden Teva Market in Or
      Yehuda has a lot of variety, but I am not sure about Almond flour
      per-se.
    • Shoshanna Walker
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2003
        >As far as availibility of coconut oil, that was the ONLY oil
        >available for Pesach when I was growing up here years ago.

        Wasn't olive oil available?

        Shoshanna
      • Shoshanna Walker
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2003
          >First of all SO MANY theories about with regard to fats and oils
          >that all I can say is each man/woman for his/her self. No one knows
          >anything anymore, you just have to use common sense. I just heard
          >from a friend who is VERY much into the oil/fat business that Canola
          >is, as of this moment OUT.

          This has been true for a long time

          >As far as availibility of coconut oil, that was the ONLY oil
          >available for Pesach when I was growing up here years ago.

          Wasn't olive oil available?

          Shoshanna
        • cat
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2003
            Hi Tsipiamiri,

            On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, tsipiamiri wrote:

            > As far as availibility of coconut oil, that was the ONLY oil
            > available for Pesach when I was growing up here years ago. Could it
            > have been totally taken off the market?

            I can't believe it would have, but then, probably there's a way to order
            it online if so.

            > As far as "far out" flours are concerned, the Eden Teva Market in Or
            > Yehuda has a lot of variety, but I am not sure about Almond flour
            > per-se.

            I wonder if the same two stores which carry ready made SCD (24 incubated,
            no milk solids, sugars or gums added) yogurt might have almond flour. Or
            one could theoretically grind it oneself, but I think only a grain mill
            would do a really adequate job.

            Take care,

            Deborah and Max, SCD Poster Dog
          • tsipiamiri
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2003
              Have you ever tried baking a cake with olive oil? Frying in it? It
              doesn't work/taste too good. In addition, olive oil was and remains
              quite expensive, even for a week of Pesach, so coconut was the
              logical choice for most cooking. For example, to make mayonnaise,
              my mother DID use olive oil, because coconut oil would have produced
              glop.
              Tsipi

              --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk@c...>
              wrote:
              > >First of all SO MANY theories about with regard to fats and oils
              > >that all I can say is each man/woman for his/her self. No one
              knows
              > >anything anymore, you just have to use common sense. I just heard
              > >from a friend who is VERY much into the oil/fat business that
              Canola
              > >is, as of this moment OUT.
              >

              > This has been true for a long time
              >
              > >As far as availibility of coconut oil, that was the ONLY oil
              > >available for Pesach when I was growing up here years ago.
              >

              > Wasn't olive oil available?
              >
              > Shoshanna
            • Shoshanna Walker
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2003
                >Have you ever tried baking a cake with olive oil?

                Good point. But there is kosher for Pesach pareve margarine for that.

                >Frying in it?

                I fry with it often, it smells wonderful

                I lived in Israel for the year in 1973, and for 11 years 1979 -
                1990. There was always grapeseed oil available, also flax seed oil -
                even in 1973

                Shoshanna
              • MYERS
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 1, 2003
                  There are special olive oils made for frying. I sometimes use those but
                  often just use regular olive oil, It has a different smell while frying but
                  tastes fine.

                  I was told to use sesame oil (by a homeopathic doctor) in baking but was not
                  happy with the results.

                  Jillian
                  > Have you ever tried baking a cake with olive oil? Frying in it? It
                  > doesn't work/taste too good. In addition, olive oil was and remains
                  > quite expensive, even for a week of Pesach, so coconut was the
                  > logical choice for most cooking. For example, to make mayonnaise,
                  > my mother DID use olive oil, because coconut oil would have produced
                  > glop.
                  > Tsipi
                  >
                  > --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk@c...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > >First of all SO MANY theories about with regard to fats and oils
                  > > >that all I can say is each man/woman for his/her self. No one
                  > knows
                  > > >anything anymore, you just have to use common sense. I just heard
                  > > >from a friend who is VERY much into the oil/fat business that
                  > Canola
                  > > >is, as of this moment OUT.
                  > >

                  > > This has been true for a long time
                  > >
                  > > >As far as availibility of coconut oil, that was the ONLY oil
                  > > >available for Pesach when I was growing up here years ago.
                  > >

                  > > Wasn't olive oil available?
                  > >
                  > > Shoshanna

                  ---
                • dpgerver@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 2, 2003
                    In a message dated 11/2/2003 10:02:50 AM Jerusalem Standard Time,
                    avjillmyers@... writes:

                    > There are special olive oils made for frying.

                    How do I identify those oils? I notice that olive oil burns if used to
                    sautee at too high a temperature.

                    Debbie

                  • Sarah Lev-Ami Meir
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 2, 2003
                      From: "cat" <cat@...>
                      > I can't believe it would have, but then, probably there's a way to order
                      > it online if so.

                      You might find yourself having to get an import license to do so. And there
                      would be Customs and VAT to pay.

                      > I wonder if the same two stores which carry ready made SCD (24 incubated,
                      > no milk solids, sugars or gums added) yogurt

                      I don't know what stores you are talking about, but how can yogurt not have
                      milk in it? It is a fermented milk product by definition.

                      Sarah
                    • cat
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 2, 2003
                        Hi Tsipi,

                        On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, tsipiamiri wrote:

                        > For example, to make mayonnaise, my mother DID use olive oil, because
                        > coconut oil would have produced glop.

                        I've always wanted to make mayo from coconut oil, but because it becomes
                        solid below 76 degrees Fahrenheit (or so), one has to make only the amount
                        being used at the time, or as you say, it will be a (solid) glop if
                        refrigerated. I'm thinking of trying it with palm oil from
                        http://wildernessfamilynaturals.com/ - I *believe* that stays at a mayo
                        consistency even in the fridge. The other alternative is to use 1/4 other
                        oil, such as macadamia nut oil along with coconut oil.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 2, 2003
                          It says on the bottle for frying

                          Jillian

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 2, 2003
                            In the beginning years (we made Aliya in 1973) there was no non-
                            kitniyot margerine available. Later on they came out with dekel
                            margerine, I think made from palm oil or something like that. Same
                            with oil, there was either soy bean oil or olive, my parents never
                            knew of anything else in those early years, that would be acceptable
                            for us for Pesach.
                            I do use olive oil these days for frying, but I really don't fry,
                            rather I sautee. I would not, for instance, make latkes in olive
                            oil. In those "old days", as I said, it was very expensive to buy
                            olive oil and it had to be used frugally. Coconut oil was
                            relatively inexpensive.

                            wrote:
                            > >Have you ever tried baking a cake with olive oil?
                            >
                            > Good point. But there is kosher for Pesach pareve margarine for
                            that.

                            > >Frying in it?
                            >

                            > I fry with it often, it smells wonderful
                            >
                            > I lived in Israel for the year in 1973, and for 11 years 1979 -
                            > 1990. There was always grapeseed oil available, also flax seed
                            oil -
                            > even in 1973
                            >
                            > Shoshanna
                          • cat
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 2, 2003
                              Hi Sarah,

                              On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Sarah Lev-Ami Meir wrote:

                              > You might find yourself having to get an import license to do so. And there
                              > would be Customs and VAT to pay.

                              An import license to buy coconut oil for personal use? Geez! In that
                              case, if it's not available, I might as well, assumming I survive long
                              enough to get to Israel <g>, get an import license and make it available
                              to others.

                              > I don't know what stores you are talking about, but how can yogurt not have
                              > milk in it? It is a fermented milk product by definition.

                              I'm sorry, I should have been much more specific. The stores are
                              mentioned on this page if you scroll down to Israel (last entry before New
                              Zealand at the end) http://www.scdiet.org/8resources/drycurd_sources.html
                              And yes, we on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet do make our yogurt with milk
                              (although those with autistic kids generally use goat milk rather than cow
                              milk to make it as these kids do much better on the goat milk yogurt)),
                              but with no added milk *solids*, such as are often in commercial yogurt to
                              bulk up the texture. IOW, no dried milk added to the liquid milk.

                              Take care,

                              Deborah and Max, SCD Poster Dog
                            • Yocheved Krems
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 2, 2003
                                Gee, and I submitted a gevaldig recipe from Fine Cooking magazine for a
                                chocolate cake made with olive oil. And it (and the other cakes in the
                                article) tasted good! You can even fry with olive oil, if you don't mind
                                the taste. It just isn't healthy to do so (according to many experts,
                                including Dr. Andrew Weil www.drweil.com)

                                B'tay'avon

                                yocheved

                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 2, 2003
                                  Mrs. Viesel - "Viesel's bakery" - had flax seed oil. She had raw
                                  honey, whole wheat flour, cod liver oil, and other select items that
                                  I don't remember. It was like the first health food store in
                                  Jerusalem, but it didn't have a large variety of things.

                                  I don't even remember where her "store" was, she was an older woman
                                  and friend of my cousin.

                                  At the time, there was a full blown health food store in Haifa -
                                  probably the first one in Israel.

                                  Shoshanna