the vanilla papers

  • ncoom gilbar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2006
      A friend just sent me this (though I've been making vanilla for a
      couple of years now)

      (c) A Marcy Goldman, BetterBaking.Com Original Recipe
      Making Vanilla Extract
      I am thinking of trying my hand at making my own extract and have found
      several recipes online using either vodka or brandy and various amounts
      of vanilla beans. Have you ever tried this? Is there a recipe you
      prefer? Or, is there a brand of vanilla extract you prefer? It sounds
      like a pretty easy and fun project that would be relatively inexpensive
      considering the cost of some extracts on the market.
      Yes - In the beginning of my baking career I did indeed make alot of my
      own vanilla - thinking as you did - it will save money and be better.
      It is better than bad imitation but never - no matter how many beans
      you add (to vodka), as vanilla-ish as even good imitation (let alone,
      great pure vanilla). Vanilla is sort of extracted or perculated
      (whereas at home, we simply are marinating the beans in the alcohol)
      and companies like Nielsen Massey use a ton of beans (there is a law
      how many they have to use - to make it "real" vanilla) and cold extract
      them into some alcohol and sugar. THIS all said - it is still nice to
      do -and the resulting vanilla flavored brandy or vodka may not be as
      heavy hitting as a real vanilla esp. double strength (unless you use a
      ton of good, fresh vanilla beans - that will be closer) BUT - it is
      still nice to make it and add it to cakes where you can really subtle
      vanilla flavor, or douse a fruitcake with it, or use it in soaking
      syrup for cakes or add a touch to a ganache or fruit salad - So - the
      short answer is - it is not the same but fun, and good in its own right
      - (and I keep some vanilla brandy on hand for my fruitcakes and
      poundcakes that I soak a bit)
      I think if you were going to make a great homemade, you would have to
      use so many vanilla beans that at the end, that would be more expensive
      too, than just buying a great pure vanilla.

      shabat shalom,

      §§§§ §§§§

      Things Are Gonna Change
      Gilbars at Large http://www.shilo.org.il/gilbar/