turkey breast

  • Gross, Sina [JNJIL]
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2005
      Thank you to all who responded.

      The turkey breast came out good. I still have to work a bit on the stuffing
      (a bit to loose).

      Now I need a recipe for gravy.

      TIA,
      Sina
    • sara@e-sim.co.il
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
        Sina <SGROSS1@...> wrote:
        <<I am experimenting and am trying to make a boned turkey breast for Shabbat
        dinner. I plan on layering it with stuffing and rolling it. Now what?

        <<I can cover it with chicken skins and put it in the oven, put it one of
        those earthenware covered casserole pots and bake it or I can put it in the
        crock-pot (with what). Any suggestions and advice on cooking times?>>

        Sorry if this is late for Shabbat dinner.
        I make turkey breast with a recipe I found online a number of years ago. Here is
        the link and the recipe.

        ====================
        http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotturkeyrecipes/r/bl64c5.htm
        Wine-Braised Turkey Breast
        From Diana Rattray, Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.

        Scroll down to see more turkey breast recipes.
        Prep Time :
        Cook Time :
        Type of Prep : Crock Pot
        Cuisine :
        Occasion :

        INGREDIENTS:
        1 whole boneless turkey breast (about 3 pounds)
        1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
        1/2 teaspoon thyme
        1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
        salt and pepper to taste
        1/4 cup Madeira wine
        1 tablespoon honey
        1 to 2 ounces dried mushrooms, such as Porcini, soaked in 1/4 cup water
        1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water

        PREPARATION:
        Take turkey breast out of wrapping and netting, and rinse under cold water; pat
        dry. Place turkey breast in slow cooker; add onion, thyme, garlic, salt &
        pepper, wine, honey, and mushrooms with soaking liquid. Cover and cook on low
        for 8 to 10 hours. During the last 30 minutes pour liquid into a container to
        skim excess fat, if desired, and return broth to pot. Stir cornstarch mixture in
        and continue cooking until smooth and thickened.
        Serves 5 to 6.
        ============================

        My notes:
        * I'm always surprised at how much liquid this recipe makes without adding any
        extra liquid.
        * I use any red wine, even kiddush wine.
        * I don't add mushrooms (my husband doesn't like them <sigh!>). Instead, I add
        1/4 cup of water with a little bit of onion soup mix.
        * I've made it with a sage-spiced stuffing, wrapping the breast around a ball of
        stuffing at the beginning and skipping the part about removing the liquid and
        mixing with cornstarch. There is less gravy then, but the meat is still juicy.

        Enjoy!
        Sara