Date Nut Bread

  • Chaya Grodner
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
      This recipe looks very good. How can this be converted to loaf pans rather
      than 8 (15 oz.) cans? Any ideas?

      *Crosse & Blackwell Date Nut Bread

      This is delicious sliced with cream cheese. It keeps very well at room
      temperature and freezes just as well.

      About 1 pound pitted, chopped dates
      2 teaspoons baking soda
      2 tablespoons butter
      2 cups hot tap water
      1 teaspoon salt
      2 large eggs
      2 cups granulated sugar
      4 cups flour
      1 teaspoon cinnamon
      1 teaspoon vanilla extract
      1 cup chopped walnuts (or whatever other
      nuts you prefer)
      Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease well 8 (15 ounce) cans with tops
      removed.
      Mix dates, baking soda, butter and water together in a large bowl; let cool
      a bit. Add remaining ingredients.
      Fill cans halfway. Place on a large baking sheet and bake for one hour;
      check with a wooden pick at 50 minutes because ovens vary so much. Leave in
      cans at least ten minutes before "shaking" out. Finish cooling on racks.*
      * *
      Thanks,

      Chaya

    • Dov & Varda Epstein
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        Chaya Grodner wrote: <How can this be converted to loaf pans rather
        than 8 (15 oz.) cans? Any ideas?>

        I never mess with baking instructions, because they're like science. It's
        good to be exact. I plan to save up cans, and use them, once I have eight.
        I'm only worried about how to grease them without amputating fingers. I
        decided I would buy the spray for this purpose, but washing them afterward
        would have to be a careful operation (hopefully not a surgical one).

        If you choose to do this in baking pans despite my warning, the way to do
        this is to measure the water that fills a can, then see what pan would hold
        this measurement. I'm guessing mini loaf pans, which is not standard baking
        equipment, and you probably don't have them. You could try some of the
        smaller disposable loaf pans, but double them for strength. They're so
        wobbly that the cakes can fall when you take them out of the oven.

        Varda