creme fraiche

  • Barbara & Bob Lang
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
      I;ve been looking for creme fraiche and haven't found any. Does anyone know
      where to get or how to substitute?
      Shana Tova,
      Barbara
    • Ruth Baks
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
        To make your own crème fraîche: combine 1 cup whipping cream with 2
        tablespoons buttermilk in a non-reactive container. Cover and let
        stand at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours, or until very thick.
        Stir well, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours before using.
        (For a quicker, milder version: use half cream and half sour cream.)

        Shavua tov and Shana Tova,

        Ruth Baks

        At 2:31 PM +0200 9/30/05, Barbara & Bob Lang wrote:
        >I;ve been looking for creme fraiche and haven't found any. Does anyone know
        >where to get or how to substitute?
        >Shana Tova,
        >Barbara

        * *

      • Levenson
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
          It is the same, I am told, as sour cream
          > I;ve been looking for creme fraiche and haven't found any. Does anyone
          know
          > where to get or how to substitute?
          > Shana Tova,
          > Barbara
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Amnon Avidor
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
            "HaChef HaLavan" makes it.

            You can purchase it in most Super Markets, though I haven't seen it lately.
            They sell it right next to all the "cooking" creams they make - they have
            heavy cream for cooking which is 15% instead of the normal 38% stuff.

            Also, it is not the same as sour cream...completely different.

            Shana tova to everyone!