RE: [israel-food] chummus

  • Shelly Butcher
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005
      It stays fresh longer if you use citric acid in place of the fresh lemon
      juice.

      Shelly

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
        Shelly,

        How do you buy citric acid, and why is this so?

        --- Shelly Butcher <shellybutcher@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2005
          citric acid in hebrew is Melach Limon

        • Levenson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2005
            Citric Acid is Lemon salt or Melach Limon. It is available at virtually
            any supermarket
            > How do you buy citric acid, and why is this so?
            >
            > --- Shelly Butcher <shellybutcher@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > It stays fresh longer if you use citric acid in
            > > place of the fresh lemon
            > > juice.
            > >
            > > Shelly

          • Shelly Butcher
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2005
              It's sold in the spice rack at most supermarkets as "humtzat limon."
              I imagine that fresh lemon juice spoils quickly, and as such causes the
              hummus to spoil more quickly. This is a trick I learned from reading an
              article on the preparation of hummus in "Al Hashulchan" IIRC.