RE: [israel-food] Waffles

  • Sarah Meir
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2005
      I was lucky enough to buy one from an ex-olah who was clearing out her house
      a little. It's always been a bit puzzling why, of all the small appliances,
      waffle irons seem to very rarely show up in Israel (I think I only saw one
      once in a shop in all the years I've been here)

      %%%%% Sarah %%%%%
      " I know what I've told you I'm going to say, I'm going to say. And what
      else I say, well, I'll take some time to figure out, figure out all that."
      - George Bush

      My thoughts exactly-- S. Meir

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2005
        I had one brought back from the USA only cost $15 there and it works on a transformer

      • Brandel D. Falk
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2005
          At 15:20 01/04/05, you wrote:
          >It's always been a bit puzzling why, of all the small appliances, waffle
          >irons seem to very rarely show up in Israel

          Probably because Israelis don't know what waffles are... :(

          Brandel in Jerusalem

          The vegetarian freezer e-cookbook has arrived!!

          http://www.30daygourmet.com/Manuals/Vegetarian_Cooking.asp
        • Mirjam Dorn
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1, 2005
            I've never seen one here. I brought one from the States (from one of those
            stores that cater to Israeli electricity). When that one died I got one in
            England, for more than 3 times the price!

            -- Mirj

            Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a waffle iron in Jerusalem,
            preferably downtown? And any idea an approximate price? Thanks in advance!

            Brandel in Jerusalem

            The vegetarian freezer e-cookbook has arrived!!

            http://www.30daygourmet.com/Manuals/Vegetarian_Cooking.asp

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Give
            the gift of life to a sick child.
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/lGEjbB/6WnJAA/E2hLAA/zvhylB/TM

            Help save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children's Research
            Hospital's
            'Thanks & Giving.'
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mGEjbB/5WnJAA/E2hLAA/zvhylB/TM

          • Shelly Butcher
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2005
              Actually, I've read that Belgian waffles were a popular treat in the 80's
              here in Israel.
              They've made a comeback, sort of. I understand there's a waffle cafe
              somewhere along the northern coastal region.

              Shelly

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2005
                Yes, I do remember that period when they sold vaffel Belgi, in shops
                around Ibn Gvirol in Tel Aviv. I think it was a round waffle with
                ice cream and/or other stuff on top, but I never had any, most
                likely because the shops did not carry hashgacha.
                But this brings back another, earlier, memory, when I was still
                dating my husband. This was in the late 70s. His mother bought
                an "Emka" machine which had inserts for grilling etc, something like
                today's toast machine but you could change the teflon-coated
                inserts. My husband's little brother (he was maybe 11 or 12) would
                make us vaffel Americai from scratch.
                I wonder if that machine still exists. I think it was Israeli made.
                Tsipi

                --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, Shelly Butcher
                <shellybutcher@p...> wrote:

                > Actually, I've read that Belgian waffles were a popular treat in
                the 80's
                > here in Israel.
                > They've made a comeback, sort of. I understand there's a waffle
                cafe
                > somewhere along the northern coastal region.
                >
                > Shelly

                01/04/2005
              • Sarah Meir
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 3, 2005
                  Waffles--the so-called "Belgian Waffles"--are indeed quite popular, because
                  when we got our waffle iron, my kids immediately organized a "crepe and
                  waffle" party, and they all knew exactly what they wanted. I suppose cafes
                  can import the irons from industrial suppliers or something.

                  *~*~*~ Sarah *~*~*~*
                  "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                  the courage to change the things I cannot accept,
                  and the wisdom to hid the bodies of those people I had to kill today because
                  they p***ed me off."
                  --Prayer for the Stressed

                  wrote:

                  > Actually, I've read that Belgian waffles were a popular treat in
                  the 80's
                  > here in Israel.
                  > They've made a comeback, sort of. I understand there's a waffle
                  cafe
                  > somewhere along the northern coastal region.
                  >
                  > Shelly

                  01/04/2005

                  DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide underprivileged children resources
                  often lacking in public schools. Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/5F6XtA/.WnJAA/E2hLAA/zvhylB/TM
                • Brandel D. Falk

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 27, 2005
                      I just use the "Joy of Cooking" pancake recipe, doubled and slightly
                      modified.

                      2 cups milk
                      3 eggs
                      1 teas. Salt
                      2 teas. Baking powder
                      3 tablesp. Sugar
                      5 tablesp. Melted butter or oil
                      2 cups flour--regular or half and half whole wheat/regular

                      ~~~ Sarah in Jerusalem ~~~~
                      -- How many gun control advocates does it take to change a light bulb?
                      Let the police do it - private citizens can't be trusted
                      with light bulbs !

                      I just got a new waffle maker. Can anyone share favorite waffle
                      recipes? Thanks!!

                      Brandel in Jerusalem

                      The vegetarian freezer e-cookbook has arrived!!

                      http://www.30daygourmet.com/Manuals/Vegetarian_Cooking.asp

                      ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Give
                      at-risk students the materials they need to succeed at DonorsChoose.org!
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/wlSUMA/LpQLAA/E2hLAA/zvhylB/TM
                    • Ruth Baks
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 27, 2005
                        First try out the recipe that comes in the booklet with your waffle
                        maker, to serve as a working model. These recipes have been tested
                        and retested and they give excellent results. I found when I tried
                        to "improve" the recipe the waffles stuck to the grid.

                        Ruth Baks
                        Jerusalem

                        Sababa ~ my private label premium coffee liqueur
                        Just Released: special Chanukah Reserve!
                        contact me off-list for details

                        At 9:14 AM +0200 12/27/05, Brandel D. Falk wrote:
                        > I just got a new waffle maker. Can anyone share favorite waffle
                        >recipes? Thanks!!

                      • Brandel D. Falk
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 27, 2005
                          At 21:29 27/12/05, you wrote:
                          >First try out the recipe that comes in the booklet with your waffle maker,
                          >to serve as a working model. These recipes have been tested and retested
                          >and they give excellent results. I found when I tried to "improve" the
                          >recipe the waffles stuck to the grid.

                          I'm too lazy to try the waffle-maker recipe; it's British, and I
                          don't have a kitchen scale. :) And I hate trying to find the conversion
                          from weight of flour into cups, because everyone has different numbers.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 28, 2005
                            Everyone has different numbers because measuring flour can be iffy -
                            different flours have different weights, particularly depending on
                            grind, sifting (or not) and how it was scooped or settled into a
                            measuring vessel. Because of this, weighing ingredients is the
                            standard for bakers; in fact, professional bakers rely not on
                            recipes, but on formulas, recording amounts in percentages by weight.
                            Because baking is a far more precise science than cooking, weighing
                            the ingredients helps ensure consistency in results.

                            Waffles or not, I highly recommend getting a good kitchen scale.
                            Keter Plastics (an Israeli company) makes several good digital
                            models, with a range of capabilities. The scale is flat like a plate
                            and takes very little space; the surface is smooth and easy to clean.
                            It calibrates both in grams and in lbs/oz. (Check the details on the
                            box, all the models look the same, but differ in the capacity they
                            handle, or in the weight increments they gauge.) I got mine a few
                            years back at Keter Plastics in Talpiot industrial zone, located past
                            Canion Hadar, near the kikar. It's a low maintenance / high
                            performance investment; after all these years mine is still operating
                            on the original battery.