Re: [israel-food] Re:Brisket

  • MYERS
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2005
      Brisket is no 3 meat available at any supermarket. The quality would probable be better for Chofetz Chaim. It depends how fussy you are. I have been satisfied with what I buy at the supermarket.
      Jillian
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1 12:54 AM
        I'm not a brisket maven, but I have collected a few notes from some
        who are. Sanford Herskovitz, known as Mr. Brisket in Cleveland, says
        that when the brisket is roasting, the point (fatter side) should be
        down; when reheating, the flat (leaner side) should be down. "Use a
        choice, whole brisket; never use a first cut because the butcher
        throws away the fat and it's drier."

        Ruth Baks
        Jerusalem
      • tsipiamiri
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 28, 2007
          I get mystery meat #3 frozen chalak and recently paid 13.99 NIS/kg. I
          don't care what it's called, it's fabulous to serve hot or cold and
          cheaper than tuna fish in a can. It reminds me of dekel. Sometimes,
          because it's mysteriously cut, I can't get gorgeous slices out of part
          of it but my family is fine with that. The Israelis plainly don't know
          what to do with it, and their loss is my gain (cheap meat).
          Tsipi
        • Ruth Baks
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 28, 2007
            The Point Cut (Deckel) can be difficult to work with because the
            grain goes in many directions, which makes it difficult to slice.

            Ruth Baks
            Jerusalem

          • fredibooks@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 29, 2007
              First cut brisket is what you know from the States. It called chazeh and the first cut is called the "shpitz" Mine is exactly what we made in US and is available in many places in the shuk and very cheap (18.99/kilo) On Thursdays and Fridays there are piles. One butcher is on the st where "mivashlim Bashuk" is. Another is off the main open st, first st to the right coming from Jaffa Road.

              Another place where I get it is At Avi Shalom on DErech Bet Lechem. He has many Anglo customers and knows exactly what we want. It is a bit more expensive there because it is fresh meat. Stay away from supermarket meat. Its pumped up with water and really isn't cut properly.

              Fredi Engelberg
              Gur Arieh Bookstore
              Yoel Solomon St 8
              Jerusalem
              Tel: 02-625-7486
              Fax: 02-625-4265

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • alizah hochstead
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 29, 2007
                Do you know what hashgacha the meat on Beit Lehem has? Also a friend of mine wants a picture of the cuts or at least a list...Once or twice that was posted. Thanks my computerless friend says Thank you

                I make a good vegetarian cholent but I am looking for some low carbohydrate ideas for SHabbat winter (no meat or chicken) We have WHole Wheat Challah for our carbs

                Menashe & Alizah Hochstead
              • chanasdaughter@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 22, 2010
                  I cannot offer an original recipe but I did see a nice price for the
                  cut of beef!

                  Today, I was at Yesh supermkt in Ramot. They were offering "Fleisch" #3
                  [labelled first cut brisket], OU mehadrin l'madrin, for 24.99/kg. I
                  haven't been to Osher Od this week, but for the past 2-3 weeks they
                  have also been selling #3 cut for low prices - 19.99/kg and fresh or
                  frozen ahole chickens for 14.99.

                  Shabbat Shalom!
                  Rochelle