Re:Mushrooms in Jerusalem

  • fredibooks@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2005
      There are mushrooms growing in my garden in central Jerusalem. Would they be edible?

    • ncoom gilbar
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
        MIGHT be. Don't be scared off by the weak of heart, but don't eat them
        until someone (maybe a tour guide who's really into nature and is
        familiar) who knows gives you the go-ahead.
        shalom,
        Ncoom
        On Jan 31, 2005, at 7:53 PM, fredibooks@... wrote:

        > There are mushrooms growing in my garden in central Jerusalem. Would
        > they be edible?

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        §§§§ §§§§
        ~~~~~~
        ncoom@...
        Gilbars at Large http://www.shilo.org.il/gilbar/
        Shilo http://www.shilo.org.il
      • BT Benjaminson
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
          ALL mushrooms are edible--some only once!
          Be very careful....
          BT Benjaminson

          > There are mushrooms growing in my garden in central Jerusalem. Would they
          be edible?

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • p_almonius
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
            Call the SPNI and see if they can put you in touch with an expert who
            can tell you if they are safe.
          • ewecanrelyonme
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 6, 2005
              There are rules.
              Something about lines in the stem and gills under the cap.
              Another good sign is if they are growing under pine trees, in which case they will 'most probably' be edible. Russians are usually good at judging, but make sure they eat them with you.

              ncoom gilbar <ncoom@...> wrote:

              MIGHT be. Don't be scared off by the weak of heart, but don't eat them
              until someone (maybe a tour guide who's really into nature and is
              familiar) who knows gives you the go-ahead.
              shalom,
              Ncoom
              On Jan 31, 2005, at 7:53 PM, fredibooks@... wrote:

              > There are mushrooms growing in my garden in central Jerusalem. Would
              > they be edible?

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              §§§§ §§§§
              ~~~~~~
              ncoom@...
              Gilbars at Large http://www.shilo.org.il/gilbar/
              Shilo http://www.shilo.org.il

            • Chaim Yerachmiel & Shany
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 6, 2005
                Don't forget to was them VERY well.
                Shany

                ncoom gilbar <ncoom@...> wrote:

                MIGHT be. Don't be scared off by the weak of heart, but don't eat them
                until someone (maybe a tour guide who's really into nature and is
                familiar) who knows gives you the go-ahead.
                shalom,
                Ncoom
                On Jan 31, 2005, at 7:53 PM, fredibooks@... wrote:

                > There are mushrooms growing in my garden in central Jerusalem. Would
                > they be edible?

              • Viviane B.
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 7, 2005
                  Shany wrote:

                  > Don't forget to was them VERY well.

                  You never wash mushrooms, they capt the water like a
                  sponge and become mushy.

                  There are special soft brushes to clean them

                  Vivi

                  =====
                  "Never, go back to a place where you have been happy. Until you do it remains alive for you.If you go back it will be destroyed."

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                • Chaim Yerachmiel & Shany
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 7, 2005
                    You have to because of the bugs. Not only with water with soap too.
                    Shany

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 7, 2005
                      Not so.
                      Everything I've ever heard says one should never wash mushrooms (though
                      they never say why, especially since they like to grow on feces). Dry
                      paper towel swipe is what is usually recommended.
                      shalom,
                      ncoom
                      On Feb 7, 2005, at 7:54 AM, Chaim Yerachmiel & Shany wrote:

                      > Don't forget to was them VERY well.
                      > Shany
                      >

                      > There are rules.
                      > Something about lines in the stem and gills under the cap.
                      > Another good sign is if they are growing under pine trees, in which
                      > case
                      > they will 'most probably' be edible. Russians are usually good at
                      > judging,
                      > but make sure they eat them with you.
                      >
                      > ncoom gilbar <ncoom@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > MIGHT be. Don't be scared off by the weak of heart, but don't eat
                      > them
                      > until someone (maybe a tour guide who's really into nature and is
                      > familiar) who knows gives you the go-ahead.
                      > shalom,
                      > Ncoom
                      > On Jan 31, 2005, at 7:53 PM, fredibooks@... wrote:
                      >

                      >> There are mushrooms growing in my garden in central Jerusalem. Would
                      >> they be edible?

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      §§§§ §§§§
                      ~~~~~~
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 7, 2005
                        MUSROOM BUGS?? THis is a new one on me. Never yet seen such a device.

                        shalom,
                        Ncoom
                        On Feb 7, 2005, at 11:45 AM, Chaim Yerachmiel & Shany wrote:

                        > You have to because of the bugs. Not only with water with soap too.
                        > Shany
                        >
                        >> Shany wrote:
                        >>

                        >>> Don't forget to was them VERY well.
                        >>
                        >> You never wash mushrooms, they capt the water like a
                        >> sponge and become mushy.
                        >>
                        >> There are special soft brushes to clean them
                        >>
                        >> Vivi
                        >>
                        >> =====
                        >> "Never, go back to a place where you have been happy. Until you do it
                        > remains alive for you.If you go back it will be destroyed."
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        §§§§ §§§§
                        ~~~~~~
                        ncoom@...
                        Gilbars at Large http://www.shilo.org.il/gilbar/
                        Shilo http://www.shilo.org.il
                      • Ruth Baks
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 7, 2005
                          In fact, there have been reports recently of red spider mites (tiny
                          live red insects) discovered on Israeli-grown mushrooms, so
                          inspection is important. One recommended method is to place the
                          mushrooms in a colander and shake it over a white surface, such as a
                          clean white plate, or white paper towels. If you find mites on the
                          white surface, avoid eating the underside of the mushroom caps (the
                          part with the gills.) Clean the entire mushroom and check for signs
                          of infestation. Where infestation is discovered, some advise to
                          discard all the mushrooms in that box.

                          Canned mushrooms are more difficult to check, so buying those with a
                          good hechsher is advantageous (these are regularly inspected at
                          laboratories.) Canned mushrooms imported from China have been found
                          to be infested.

                          When I was in India, I once brought some freshly picked forest
                          mushrooms to my cook (I love mushrooms.) He confirmed that this type
                          of mushroom was safe to eat, however, he would not agree to cook them
                          for me. Why? Because of the age: the gills were exposed, and he
                          understood they would already be harboring insects (even though I
                          couldn't see any.) Like any produce, the age and condition of the
                          mushroom will be a factor to it's vulnerability to infestation.

                          When buying fresh button mushrooms (the most common in Israel) seek
                          out those which are white and unblemished, with the stem firmly
                          attached to the cap, and no gills visible.

                          Ruth Baks
                          Jerusalem

                          At 2:48 PM +0200 2/7/05, ncoom gilbar wrote:
                          >MUSROOM BUGS?? THis is a new one on me. Never yet seen such a device.
                          >
                          >shalom,
                          >Ncoom
                          >On Feb 7, 2005, at 11:45 AM, Chaim Yerachmiel & Shany wrote:
                          > >
                          >> You have to because of the bugs. Not only with water with soap too.
                          > > Shany
                        • Sarah Lev-Ami Meir
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 7, 2005
                            NEVER wash mushrooms. Wipe them with a damp cloth. Mushrooms soak up
                            water, and will not cook as well if washed.

                            The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.