RE: #3 meat and crockery pot

  • Gross, Sina [JNJIL]
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2004
      I have 2 questions:

      1 - If I cook the brisket in a slow cooker (crock-pot) how much liquid would
      I add (the 2 recipes below suggest different quantities for baking.)

      2 - I received one of these crockery pots - that is a clay pot (w/lid) that
      is glazed inside and out and can supposedly be used on the stove or in the
      oven. Can you tell me the advantages to using this pot and suggest some
      recipes? Also, does it need any special treatment before using the first
      time?

      Thanx,
      Sina

      Message: 5
      Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:43:19 -0000
      From: "tsipiamiri" <tsipiamiri@...>
      Subject: Re: No 3 meat

      #3 is, in my opinion, one of the best kept secrets in Israel.
      Israelis don't know that's it's really "brisket", or more
      correctly, "dekel". It's so cheap that at times I wonder if what I
      am buying is truly Glatt kosher. I have bought it for 11.90/kg,
      frozen and could not believe it!
      It's scrumptions slow baked in the oven. Roast at 325 F for a
      loooong time (I do three hours minimum for a 2-3 kg roast). Place
      onions in bottom of pan. Place meat on onions. Pour wine over the
      meat, you can even make slits with a knife to ease absorption. You
      can even soak in wine for a while. Spice both sides of the meat. I
      use whatever I have on hand. Yesterday onion soup mix (I don't like
      that too much, but it does add flavor), garlic powder, ground
      pepper, paprika and a couple of bay leaves. Add water to make
      liquid reach at least 1/2 the roast. Cover TIGHTLY with foil.
      Place in oven and let 'er rip.
      Slice when warm, not hot. To reheat, do it GENTLY. Pack slices
      tightly for this. Very good cold as well.
      The meat here doesn't shrink so much cause it's lean, you will get a
      lot of mileage out of #3. Save the cooking juice, whatever you
      don't eat, to use as soup base. Freeze for use at a later date.
      Hope this helped,
      Tsipi

      Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:39:10 +0200
      From: "Sarah Lev-Ami Meir" <sarahm@...>

      "Tzli bakar"
      Brown the meat on both sides. Making little slits, stick pieces of garlic
      in all over the meat. Coat liberally with onion soup powder, add dry red
      wine, some bay leaves, a little soy sauce and cover tightly. Bake in the
      oven at 170c for 3 hours. Slice. Yummy.
    • tsipiamiri
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
        (1) Be careful in the crock pot if it's not the type with a temp.
        gauge, that the meat does not get dried out. I am the one who uses
        liquid 1/2 way up the meat, always comes out perfect. In my
        opinion, this is NOT meat to use as a dry roast.
        (2) Don't know about clay pots, but I think I read somewhere that
        you should "season" them by first soaking in water. I am sure you
        can find resources on the internet.
        Tsipi

        --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, "Gross, Sina [JNJIL]"
        <SGROSS1@J...> wrote:

        > I have 2 questions:
        >
        > 1 - If I cook the brisket in a slow cooker (crock-pot) how much
        liquid would
        > I add (the 2 recipes below suggest different quantities for
        baking.)

        > 2 - I received one of these crockery pots - that is a clay pot
        (w/lid) that
        > is glazed inside and out and can supposedly be used on the stove
        or in the
        > oven. Can you tell me the advantages to using this pot and suggest
        some
        > recipes? Also, does it need any special treatment before using the
        first
        > time?
        >
        > Thanx,
        > Sina
        >
        > Message: 5
        > Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:43:19 -0000
        > From: "tsipiamiri" <tsipiamiri@y...>
        > Subject: Re: No 3 meat
        >

        > #3 is, in my opinion, one of the best kept secrets in Israel.
        > Israelis don't know that's it's really "brisket", or more
        > correctly, "dekel". It's so cheap that at times I wonder if what
        > am buying is truly Glatt kosher. I have bought it for 11.90/kg,
        > frozen and could not believe it!
        > It's scrumptions slow baked in the oven. Roast at 325 F for a
        > loooong time (I do three hours minimum for a 2-3 kg roast). Place
        > onions in bottom of pan. Place meat on onions. Pour wine over
        the
        > meat, you can even make slits with a knife to ease absorption.
        You
        > can even soak in wine for a while. Spice both sides of the meat.
        > use whatever I have on hand. Yesterday onion soup mix (I don't
        like
        > that too much, but it does add flavor), garlic powder, ground
        > pepper, paprika and a couple of bay leaves. Add water to make
        > liquid reach at least 1/2 the roast. Cover TIGHTLY with foil.
        > Place in oven and let 'er rip.
        > Slice when warm, not hot. To reheat, do it GENTLY. Pack slices
        > tightly for this. Very good cold as well.
        > The meat here doesn't shrink so much cause it's lean, you will get
        > lot of mileage out of #3. Save the cooking juice, whatever you
        > don't eat, to use as soup base. Freeze for use at a later date.
        > Hope this helped,
        > Tsipi
        >

        > Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:39:10 +0200
        > From: "Sarah Lev-Ami Meir" <sarahm@a...>
        > Subject: Re: No 3 meat
        >

        > "Tzli bakar"
        > Brown the meat on both sides. Making little slits, stick pieces
        of garlic
        > in all over the meat. Coat liberally with onion soup powder, add
        dry red
        > wine, some bay leaves, a little soy sauce and cover tightly. Bake
        in the
        > oven at 170c for 3 hours. Slice. Yummy.
      • Drs. Ernest & Ina Levenson
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
          Most clay pots, (Romertopf) if they are not glazed inside have to be soaked
          in water before the first use. If glazed add fluid up to 1/3 the height of
          the meat.
          > 1 - If I cook the brisket in a slow cooker (crock-pot) how much liquid
          would
          > I add (the 2 recipes below suggest different quantities for baking.)
          >
          > 2 - I received one of these crockery pots - that is a clay pot (w/lid)
          that
          > is glazed inside and out and can supposedly be used on the stove or in the
          > oven. Can you tell me the advantages to using this pot and suggest some
          > recipes? Also, does it need any special treatment before using the first
          > time?
          >
          > Thanx,
          > Sina
          >
          > Message: 5
          > Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:43:19 -0000
          > From: "tsipiamiri" <tsipiamiri@...>
          > Subject: Re: No 3 meat
          >

          > #3 is, in my opinion, one of the best kept secrets in Israel.
          > Israelis don't know that's it's really "brisket", or more
          > correctly, "dekel". It's so cheap that at times I wonder if what I
          > am buying is truly Glatt kosher. I have bought it for 11.90/kg,
          > frozen and could not believe it!
          > It's scrumptions slow baked in the oven. Roast at 325 F for a
          > loooong time (I do three hours minimum for a 2-3 kg roast). Place
          > onions in bottom of pan. Place meat on onions. Pour wine over the
          > meat, you can even make slits with a knife to ease absorption. You
          > can even soak in wine for a while. Spice both sides of the meat. I
          > use whatever I have on hand. Yesterday onion soup mix (I don't like
          > that too much, but it does add flavor), garlic powder, ground
          > pepper, paprika and a couple of bay leaves. Add water to make
          > liquid reach at least 1/2 the roast. Cover TIGHTLY with foil.
          > Place in oven and let 'er rip.
          > Slice when warm, not hot. To reheat, do it GENTLY. Pack slices
          > tightly for this. Very good cold as well.
          > The meat here doesn't shrink so much cause it's lean, you will get a
          > lot of mileage out of #3. Save the cooking juice, whatever you
          > don't eat, to use as soup base. Freeze for use at a later date.
          > Hope this helped,
          > Tsipi
          >

          > Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:39:10 +0200
          > From: "Sarah Lev-Ami Meir" <sarahm@...>
          > Subject: Re: No 3 meat
          >

          > "Tzli bakar"
          > Brown the meat on both sides. Making little slits, stick pieces of garlic
          > in all over the meat. Coat liberally with onion soup powder, add dry red
          > wine, some bay leaves, a little soy sauce and cover tightly. Bake in the
          > oven at 170c for 3 hours. Slice. Yummy.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ilana Goldstein Saks
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
            Hi.

            We have one of those crockery pots. We actually got it for a present. We made fun of it for about a year (it has a funny German name which I don't recall off-hand) and then we tried it - and now we use it all the time. It's greatest quality is that the meat (we actually have made chicken and duck but never red meat - but I imagine the result is the same) stays REALLY moist and juicy. It's almost impossible to over-cook in it (within reason - I woudn't leave it in for 5 hours) There are recipes for it but you can basically do whatever you want. I would add some liquid if you wish but not too much because the liquid increases with cooking. We usually put the meat in with veggies, potatoes and we once even tried rice.

            Our pot has an unglazed top - the instructions said to soak it in water for 10 minutes. bottom can be put in the dishwasher but not the top - if it is unglazed. If your top is glazed - don't know.

            Enjoy,
            Ilana

            Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:43:19 -0000
            From: "tsipiamiri" <tsipiamiri@...>

            Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:39:10 +0200
            From: "Sarah Lev-Ami Meir" <sarahm@...>

            "Tzli bakar"
            Brown the meat on both sides. Making little slits, stick pieces of garlic
            in all over the meat. Coat liberally with onion soup powder, add dry red
            wine, some bay leaves, a little soy sauce and cover tightly. Bake in the
            oven at 170c for 3 hours. Slice. Yummy.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Get unlimited calls to

            U.S./Canada

            --- [E-mail scanned for viruses]

          • menucha
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
              What model of soda making machine do you recommend? What would be a
              good price?
              thanks
              menucha
            • M Katz
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
                We had one of those Shlumertopf (or similar German-sounding name) pots, too.
                The instructions were to submerge it, top and bottom, for 10 minutes prior
                to EACH use: the clay retains the warm (meaning it soaks up the water) and
                then, as the pot is in the dry oven during the cooking process, the water
                somehow keeps the food being cooked moist as the pot itself dries out.
                But, the soaking step is necessary every time you use it, not just as some
                kind of prepping of the clay pot for the first use only. Read the
                instructions that came with the pot.
                Marcia

                Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:43:19 -0000
                From: "tsipiamiri" <tsipiamiri@...>

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
                  Menucha,
                  See what people tell you, and then call the company directly: 1-800-300-100.
                  That is the number for Soda Club Direct (Soda Club Yashir)
                  They may be able to give you a better deal than what is offered in stores.
                  They will have a delivery service deliver it directly to your home, at a
                  pre-arranged time, but you must be home to accept delivery and sign for it.
                  There is a delivery fee, but when factoring that into the price, may still
                  be worth paying.

                  The same company also handles Brita and can give you an OK deal on
                  replacement filters. They also deal in BakeIt bread mixes.

                  They actually called ME the first time. I had bought some Brita filters and
                  there was a postcard enclosed to send in to be informed of future special
                  bonuses/sales of Brita products.
                  Well, since the same company also sells Soda Club, they called and pitched
                  me a package deal for Brita filters AND a Soda Club setup (dispenser, sample
                  syrups, gas canister) with some free bread mixes thrown in. The saleswoman
                  seemed to have some flexibility on what she could offer, so ask "Is that the
                  best you can do?" or something similar to get an even better deal than what
                  you are being offered.

                  The syrups for Soda Club are available in Mega and Home Center stores. I've
                  also seen them at my local Coop. Has anyone seem them sold elsewhere?

                    > See what people tell you, and then call the company directly:
                    1-800-300-100.
                    > That is the number for Soda Club Direct (Soda Club Yashir)
                    > They may be able to give you a better deal than what is offered in stores.
                    > They will have a delivery service deliver it directly to your home, at a
                    > pre-arranged time, but you must be home to accept delivery and sign for
                    it.
                    > There is a delivery fee, but when factoring that into the price, may still
                    > be worth paying.

                    There seem to be two main models available: one with a gas cylinder good for
                    about 40 presses (technically, they say 40 liters, but I usually "fill" the
                    bottle with CO2 twice to give me enough fizziness). The advantage of this
                    model is that the cylinders are available at a lot of places--even my local
                    makolet. The downside is that you need to change the cylinder frequently if
                    you drink a lot of soda. There is a larger model with a larger cylinder
                    that is supposed to make up to 100 liters of carbonated water. It's tougher
                    to find cylinders (Home Center in Malcha has them) but I understand there's
                    a delivery service--I don't know how good it is.

                    > The syrups for Soda Club are available in Mega and Home Center stores.
                    I've
                    > also seen them at my local Coop. Has anyone seem them sold elsewhere?

                    They're pretty generally available, but I think they're overpriced. Normal
                    "petel" works just as well, although I think there are more flavors in the
                    Soda Club range. Since I'm diabetic, I use the Marmolit dietetic syrups and
                    it tastes fine.

                    Sarah