RE: [israel-food] Molasses?

  • Bari Nirenberg
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29 4:31 AM
      > As for finding it here: it is called "mulasa" or "divsha" and
      > can be found in most supermarkets and healthfood stores - at
      > least the ones I've seen.

      Hmm... I've looked everywhere for molasses (apart from the health food
      store -- that never occurred to me. There's only one anywhere near here as
      far as I know and it's not exactly conveniently located, so I never go
      there) and I've never seen it it any of the supermarkets or even in the
      "specialty stores" (like Kafriat Shoket). Which supermarkets (chains) have
      you seen it at?

      Bari
      ---
    • ncoom gilbar
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 29 5:02 AM
        Sarah-

        How much do you add to a loaf of bread?

        hag sameach,
        Ncoom

        On Sep 29, 2004, at 9:56 AM, Sarah Lev-Ami Meir wrote:

        > Molasses ...

        > I use it quite a lot in
        > bread,

        §§§§ §§§§
        ~~~~~~
        ncoom@...
        Gilbars at Large http://www.shilo.org.il/gilbar/
        Shilo http://www.shilo.org.il
      • Sarah Lev-Ami Meir
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
          Well, it depends a lot on the recipe...but usually about a quarter of a cup.
          It can be used in any bread recipe that calls for honey (color will be
          darker, and taste "smokier"), or in recipes that call for sugar (but
          remember to reduce the amount of liquid accordingly, or you'll have to add
          more flour to get the same consistency of dough.

          I like it on mamaliga, too--or used to, before I became diabetic.

          Sarah
          On Sep 29, 2004, at 9:56 AM, Sarah Lev-Ami Meir wrote:

          > Molasses ...

          > I use it quite a lot in
          > bread,

          §§§§ §§§§
          ~~~~~~
          ncoom@...
          Gilbars at Large http://www.shilo.org.il/gilbar/
          Shilo http://www.shilo.org.il

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Yocheved Krems
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
            Bari Nirenberg wrote:

            >there) and I've never seen it it any of the supermarkets or even in the
            >"specialty stores" (like Kafriat Shoket). Which supermarkets (chains) have
            >you seen it at?

            You can often find it at Cheaperkol in Givat Shaul or Hachi K'dai in
            Mattersdorf or Kiryat Sanz. Imported from America. There are Israeli
            versions, I've seen them at health food stores all over.

            YK
          • Bari Nirenberg
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
              I'm not familiar with either of these stores -- if they're chains, we don't
              have them down here in the Negev. We have Hyperkol, Mahsane Hashuk, Mahsane
              Mazon, Mega and probably one or two others that I'm forgetting. The one
              place that might have it that I didn't think of until now is Tiv Ta'am (also
              more convenient for me than the health food store).

              Bari

              ---
            • ncoom gilbar
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                you use it in place of sugar or honey?
                shalom,
                Ncoom
                happy little-house time.

                On Oct 1, 2004, at 8:54 PM, Sarah Lev-Ami Meir wrote:

                > Well, it depends a lot on the recipe...but usually about a quarter of
                > a cup.
                > It can be used in any bread recipe that calls for honey (color will be
                > darker, and taste "smokier"), or in recipes that call for sugar (but
                > remember to reduce the amount of liquid accordingly, or you'll have to
                > add
                > more flour to get the same consistency of dough.
                >
                > I like it on mamaliga, too--or used to, before I became diabetic.
                >
                > Sarah

                §§§§ §§§§
                ~~~~~~
                ncoom@...
                Gilbars at Large http://www.shilo.org.il/gilbar/
                Shilo http://www.shilo.org.il
              • Ilana Goldstein Saks
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 2004
                  OK - maybe "most" was an assumption. I don't remember specifically which
                  supermarkets in J-m have it, although I do remember seeing it. The "patit"
                  supermarket in Efrat has it, and since compared to most city supermarkets it
                  is a glorified makolet I imagine it should be available in at leat some of
                  the bigger supermarkets.
                  I'll keep the list posted when I see it.
                  > As for finding it here: it is called "mulasa" or "divsha" and
                  > can be found in most supermarkets and healthfood stores - at
                  > least the ones I've seen.

                  Hmm... I've looked everywhere for molasses (apart from the health food
                  store -- that never occurred to me. There's only one anywhere near here as
                  far as I know and it's not exactly conveniently located, so I never go
                  there) and I've never seen it it any of the supermarkets or even in the
                  "specialty stores" (like Kafriat Shoket). Which supermarkets (chains) have
                  you seen it at?

                  Bari
                  ---

                  Yahoo! Groups Links