parmesan

  • Eli Linas
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
      > Esther <mispriss@...> wrote:
      >Subject: Zucchini
      >
      >My favorite zucchini dish is:
      >
      >Slice zucchini in half lengthwise.
      >
      >On the open faces smear some olive oil, garlic salt, pepper and a goodly
      >sprinkling of parmesan.
      >
      >Broil until brown but still crunchy.

      Bs"d
      Anyone know of where to get mehadrin parmesan cheese?
      While I'm at it, any of you importers interested in bringing in Mountain
      Dew and Betty Crocker Hashbrowns?!

      Ah, for the tastes of home!

      Eli
    • Sarah Meir
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
        From: "Eli Linas" <linaseli@...>

        > While I'm at it, any of you importers interested in bringing in Mountain
        > Dew and Betty Crocker Hashbrowns?!

        Mountain Dew did appear very briefly some years ago in a few places but
        didn't catch on. IMHO, Shweppes Shkolit tastes the same (but I've been
        living here over 25 years, and never liked Mountain Dew much anyway.)
        Hashbrowns I make "from scratch"; always have done.

        > Ah, for the tastes of home!

        You ARE home. Those are tastes of your previous residence <g>. Seriously,
        food nostalgia is amazingly long-lasting--but eventually you forget those
        tastes, or they become unpalatable.

        Sarah
      • Yocheved Krems
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
          Bs"d
          Anyone know of where to get mehadrin parmesan cheese?
          While I'm at it, any of you importers interested in bringing in Mountain
          Dew and Betty Crocker Hashbrowns?!

          Ah, for the tastes of home!

          Eli

          Eli!!! Hashbrowns are so easy to make! Oy!

          On the mehadrin parmesan cheese - I share your desire for this. Maybe we
          should petition Tnuva for this (better yet, ask other dairies).
          Unfortunately, they told me there isn't enough milk to make Parmesan
          cheese - i.e. there isn't the market for it. So, you are relegated to
          buying it from the states.

          BTW, the parmesan cheese that Supersol brings in (or used to anyway) is not
          cholov Yisroel and therefore not available for many of us who keep this
          stringency.

          Be well,

          Yocheved

          Yocheved Krems
          02-581-7665
          054-257-367

          ---
        • miriam_k
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
            A decent substitute for parmesan is Kashkeval cheese. If you are willing to
            pay for a truly superb cheese, you can call Aharon Markovitz at Moshav
            Nechalim. Machlevet Eretz Zevach Chalav. He makes gourmet - and mehadrin -
            cheeses out of sheep's milk that rank with the best French products. I
            believe he offers a kashkeval, or even a proper Parmesan. I'm sure he can
            arrange to have the cheese dropped off at one of the shops that carry his
            products in your area, or just mail it to you; he is a very nice man.

            Tell him Miriam from the natural soaps sent you.

            Miriam