Re: [israel-food] real soy sauce

  • golan chaim
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 17, 2013
      have you  tried kikoman  most mkts have them

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 17, 2013
        On 9/16/2013 1:17 PM, mushkyz@... wrote:

        BS"D

        Where can I get plain and simple real soy sauce without anything in it. I cannot have any wheat or corn, but do not want a soy sauce filled with garbage. I know that in the States it was possible to get soy sauce made from soybeans, salt, water and alcohol. So, I am looking for the same thing here. I live in Beitar, but go to Yerushalayim often enough.

        There are lots of brands of soy sauce. Alcohol  BTW is not needed in soy sauce, but some brands use it. The brand you want has a white label, black print and costs around 60 NIS for a small (1/2 liter?) bottle. It has an OK hecksher.

        You can get it at one of the health food stores around the shuk. The best thing for you to do IMHO is to start at East Meets West (which carries kosher, nonkosher, and unkosher foods) and walk up Agripas street to you get to the Clal Center, turn left, walk up to Jaffa road, turn left and look at all the stores (on both sides of the streets until you become familiar with who has what, and what they charge for it. Then do the same inside the shuk itself.

        Since you differentiate heckshers, take a chart if it helps, and be prepared to look and if needed ask if a product has a hecksher and if so which one. It also helps to take a shopping cart.

        Note that neither Halal certification nor the UK "suitable for vegtarians" is not a substitute for a hecksher. I don't know about the Singapore vegetarian certification, but I would assume it is not for the same reasons. If you want, email me off list and I will explain why.

        Geoff.

        --
        Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ
        Jerusalem Israel.
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 17, 2013

           BS"D

          I have and all of the gluten free soy sauces have other ingredients in them that are not good. I just want something simple. For some reason I have not been able to make it on my own.

          Chag Sameach,

          Mushky

          --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, <klara_levine@...> wrote:

          Have you looked into the health food stores - that is where I always get mine. There are several stores, are you familiar with them?

          Klara

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 19, 2013
            On 9/17/2013 11:37 PM, mushkyz@... wrote:

            I have and all of the gluten free soy sauces have other ingredients in them that are not good. I just want something simple. For some reason I have not been able to make it on my own.

            Soy sauce is made like beer or wine. You cook soybeans, add salt and other things such as rice, put in a barrel and leave to ferment. The exact mix of ingredients, the process, etc is a family secret and each company is different.  When done, the sludge at the bottom of the barrel is sold as miso, and the liquid on top as soy sauce.

            There is of course fake soy sauce, but you can't duplicate it at home, it's made from carmel (for the color), salt and flavorings.

            Geoff.

            --
            Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ
            Jerusalem Israel.
          • Mirjam Weiss
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 19, 2013

              -- Mirj

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 20, 2013
                  On 9/20/2013 12:26 PM, mushkyz@... wrote:

                  Geoff, thanks for the information. Have you tried making soy sauce at home? Do you have a recipe? What is your email address to email you off list if I have more questions?

                  I don't have a book on making soy sauce per se, I have one on miso, which describes how it is done, I think it may have instructions too.  I have also seen videos on how to do it on NHK (on YES), so they must be available.

                  Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, miso is a fermented product, the solids which are like a goo, is sold as miso, the liquid, shoyu, is sold as soy sauce.

                  Commercial soy  sauce is made with wheat, which if I remember correctly causes problems for you. I looked at the bottle of "the good stuff" the price tag did not say where it was from. This is the website of the manufacturer:

                  http://www.mitoku.com/index.html

                  Here is the web page if the local importer of many products (not the soy sauce above), if you go to the next page you will see Wan Jah Shan makes a wheat free organic soy sauce. They are a Taiwanese company which makes nonkosher products (oyster sauce, etc) and also they have a factory in Monesy, NY, under OK supervision. I believe all the products Tayari sells are from the US factory, but it behooves you to check before buying.

                  Look around, on page 18 there is Akita gluten free soy sauce (which may be ok, I'm not sure it is wheat free), which is half the price (used to be even cheaper) than the Mitoku. I prefer it in chinese food (basically anything with chilli and or garlic) and save the Mitoku for sushi.

                  http://www.tayari.co.il/Page.php?num=14

                  I have my own diet challenges, but I understand yours. I have a relative via marriage who is celiac and has a wheat allergy. She and her husband are followers of Hare Krishna, so she can eat no wheat starch, gluten, etc, and they don't eat garlic and onions, meat, etc. (almost 90% of our diet).

                  This email works fine for sending me off list emails.

                  Geoff.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 20, 2013

                    Golan, the thing is that it contains wheat, which I truly cannot have. I am looking for something that does not contain wheat at all. Though, thanks for the idea.

                    Moadim L'simcha

                    Mushky