Re: [israel-food] Meat Help

  • Karen Eisenberg
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 15, 2013
      I like to use brisket (#3) but it's expensive, and I'm sure that other cuts would also work.  One bonus of being here is that there is no first cut or second cut brisket here, it's all the same price, so I just ask my butcher for "the flat part."

      Karen

      On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Naomi Horowitz <pleasesmile90@...> wrote:

      As mentioned previously, I'm a pretty new oleh trying to get used to things around here.  One of the hardest things for me was figuring out what that stuff in the chicken/meat section was...so far, I think I got some of the basics down (I can't believe that even chicken packaging looks different than I'm used to.)

      But, at this point, I would like to make a basic roast for yom tov - the kind with cranberry sauce, wine, coke, onion soup mix and cooked for a long time and becomes tender.

      What # meat do I want, please?

      Thanks!

      --
      Karen Eisenberg
    • Naomi Horowitz
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 19, 2013

        It is stringy, but we love it for chulent - it does very well with that type of cooking and has a good flavor that it adds to the chulent and has itself.