Re: [israel-food] "resek" for jachnun, etc?

  • Andrea A
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 12, 2013
      My husband is Yemenite. His family eats jachnoon with grated tomato, grated cilantro and zhug. Always grated by hand. There is always plain tomatoes grated for the kids and for me, and extra zhug on the table. We also have a yogurt on the table as well. Two kinds, both with the same base of Gvina levana, shamenet, and leben. To one they add grated garlic, a little salt and fresh dill. To the other they add a dried spice mix my mother in law makes that consists of dried chili, zatar, and garlic.

      Andrea

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 12, 2013, at 8:46 AM, "David Curwin" <tobyndave@...> wrote:

      Still no ideas about this?

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 12, 2013
        Um, it's literally just tomatoes and a bit of schug. Maybe add a touch of lemon juice? What you might want to try is graters with different sized holes to vary the coarseness. Also drain off some of the tomato liquid before adding schug. You may never get it to match the resek someone else makes, but there's really no specific recipe. Play around until you get something you love.

        sambo