Re: [israel-food] "resek" for jachnun, etc?

  • Andrea A
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 12, 2013
      My husband is Yemenite. His family eats jachnoon with grated tomato, grated cilantro and zhug. Always grated by hand. There is always plain tomatoes grated for the kids and for me, and extra zhug on the table. We also have a yogurt on the table as well. Two kinds, both with the same base of Gvina levana, shamenet, and leben. To one they add grated garlic, a little salt and fresh dill. To the other they add a dried spice mix my mother in law makes that consists of dried chili, zatar, and garlic.

      Andrea

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 12, 2013, at 8:46 AM, "David Curwin" <tobyndave@...> wrote:

      Still no ideas about this?

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 12, 2013

        All the Yeminites I know simply grate raw tomatoes by hand --no tomato skin, just pulp.

        Most just add salt and pepper, not even schug.

        Cara

        --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, <tobyndave@...> wrote:

        Still no ideas about this?

        Anyone have a recipe for making the sauce/spread usually just called “resek” and is commonly served with jachnun or Yemenite pita? I know it’s made with grated raw tomatoes and schug, but I couldn’t get it to taste like the real thing. I tried both grating by hand, and by food processor, but the consistency wasn’t right.

        Thanks,

        Dave

      • alizah hochstead
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 12, 2013
          Tomatoes...Cut into chucks and put in blendeer or processor (not grater), Raw garlic..not too much, a bit of lemon juice, cumin salt and pepper. Easy on the spice. Yum with Kubana

          G'mar Chatima Tova
          Acts of Kindness will bring Moshiach

          Menashe and Alizah Hochstead
          058-47-77004

          To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
          From: tobyndave@...
          Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 08:45:34 +0300
          Subject: RE: [israel-food] "resek" for jachnun, etc?

          Still no ideas about this?

          Anyone have a recipe for making the sauce/spread usually just called “resek” and is commonly served with jachnun or Yemenite pita? I know it’s made with grated raw tomatoes and schug, but I couldn’t get it to taste like the real thing. I tried both grating by hand, and by food processor, but the consistency wasn’t right.

          Thanks,

          Dave

        • sammy ominsky
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 12, 2013
            Um, it's literally just tomatoes and a bit of schug. Maybe add a touch of lemon juice? What you might want to try is graters with different sized holes to vary the coarseness. Also drain off some of the tomato liquid before adding schug. You may never get it to match the resek someone else makes, but there's really no specific recipe. Play around until you get something you love.

            sambo