Re: unusual spices & herbs

  • Nili Marcia
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 12, 2013

      Yes the herbs tend to grow, flower, die and need to be replaced.  However, they will live significantly longer if you make sure to pinch off the flower heads or, better, the buds.  When the plant hasn’t had a chance to fulfill its genetic imperative of creating seeds it will stay alive longer to keep trying.

      Nili

    • Nili Marcia
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 12, 2013

        Rochelle,

        Just curious: what are marigold petals used for??  And what are they used for?

        Nili

      • Sharmila Daniel
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 12, 2013
          We have marigolds (calendula) flowers growing in our garden very easily....  If you can't find them to buy, perhaps this is one you could grow.

          Just curious: what are marigold petals used for??  And what are they used for?

          Nili

        • mushkyz
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 14, 2013
            Marc, do you know the hashgacha for B'shekvitz? Also, what type of selection of spices and herbs does this store have?

            Gmar Chasima Tova,

            Mushky

            --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, <marc@...> wrote:

            Fresh tarragon is usually available in Rami Levi

            In Machane Yehuda, look for B'shekvitz בשקביץ (Etz Chaim 32, the covered street) and ask for what you want.
            http://cooking.marcgottlieb.com/2012/05/machane-yehuda/

            Savory is צתרה
            Fenugreek is חילבה but I don't remember seeing blue fenugreek.
            I have no clue about marigolds.
            http://cooking.marcgottlieb.com/2012/04/hebrew-english-spice-chart/

            Marc

            On 9/11/2013 2:59 AM, Rochelle Eissenstat wrote:

            Does anyone know where to get blue fenugreek seeds & dried leaves? Summer savory - fresh or dried? Fresh tarragon? Dried marigold flower petals?

            Thanks!
            Rochelle

            --

            Fun Joel's Israel Tours

            Website

            Facebook
            Twitter
            Pinterest
            Flickr

            --
            Marc Gottlieb
            marc@...
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 14, 2013
              ON Rehov Rabbi Akiva in Beitar I have found a good selection of spices at good prices. Also Osher Od has a large spice section in Givat Shaul store (also probably in the other stores as well.

              G'mar Chatima Tova
              Acts of Kindness will bring Moshiach

              Menashe and Alizah Hochstead
              058-47-77004

              To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 14, 2013
                I don't remember specifically, but he certainly has a teudah on the wall in the entrance on the left as you walk in. Ask him to point it out to you.

                Everything. And anything he doesn't have in his store, his son's store on R. Yafo might have it.

                Except blue fenugreek and marigold petals ;-)

                Marc