Re: [israel-food] Re: how to grind flax seeds?

  • ncoom
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 23, 2013
      Apples and oranges.

      I thought we were talking crackers made of flax seeds.

      But this sounds like (a different kind of ) fun and tasty anyway.
      shalom,
      ncoom

      We're all here because we're not all there

      On Jun 23, 2013, at 12:39 AM, Toby Curwin wrote:

      Yes, I have a great recipe, I thought I had posted it here once before, but just in case, here it is!

      Totally Easy Homemade Crackers

      When I say totally easy, I mean that the time between sitting on the couch thinking "hmm, I'd like some crackers" to the time you're actually eating crackers is just under 20 minutes. Give it a try!

      Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.

      Mix in a bowl:

      2 Cups flour (whole wheat or white, both work well)
      1 tsp. baking powder
      1/2 tsp. salt
      2/3 cup warm water
      1/3 cup oil

      Mix those into a dough. This part takes around 25 seconds. Divide the dough into two parts, and roll each as thin as possible onto parchment paper. The thinner they are, the crispier and more delicious they are! Don't worry if the dough tears a bit, after you cut them, no one will know the difference. Anyway, roll out both parts, so that they fit onto two baking sheets.

      Spread some toppings on. You can use anything! Sesame seeds, pesto, soy sauce, grated cheese, that matbucha in the fridge that won't make it until Shabat, really anything. I once did a sweet version with cinnamon and sugar, it was also delicious! Anyway, cut the dough with a pizza cutter or sharp knife, and bake for 12-14 minutes, until lightly brown and crispy. That's it, enjoy!

      That's what I had posted before, but there are two updates:
      1) I noticed that store-bought crackers have tiny holes in them, kind of like matza, and it occurred to me that the holes might keep the dough from rising, increasing the crispiness and yumminess of the cracker. I bought a "dough docker" (google images of that to understand) and it works great! Just roll it over the dough a couple of times before putting it into the oven, and you're good to go.

      2) I discovered a way to roll the dough really thin - it's a bit sticky, so when I initially tried using a rolling pin, it just all stuck and made a mess. BUT if you put a piece of parchment paper on top of the dough, and THEN roll it with a rolling pin, nothing can stick, and it rolls out really well. Enjoy! Shavua tov, Toby

      On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Yocheved Krems <yocheved.krems@...> wrote:
      �

      You have a good cracker recipe????

      Any chance� you'd share one, or two ...

      Yocheved

      On 6/20/2013 10:26 PM, Toby Curwin wrote:
      �
      I haven't tried it yet, but yeah, my plan was to add them into my cracker dough, I thought it might be yummy (and healthy).

      On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM, ncoom ncoom@...> wrote:
      �

      You grind seeds for flax crackers?????

      shalom,
      ncoom

      --
      my funny photoblog: http://atimeofthesigns.blogspot.com/
      my pretty photoblog: http://iwishiwereaphotographer.blogspot.com/

    • Valerie Justman
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 25, 2013
        Many thanks for this information, Nili. This will be really useful for me.
        Best wishes,
        Valerie

        To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
        From: drnili@...
        Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 17:19:14 +0300
        Subject: [israel-food] Re: how to grind flax seeds?

        Hi Valerie,

        It’s great you are soaking nuts.  I do that too with raw nuts and seeds to eliminate phytic acid.

        Yes, there was a typo in my previous note.  It’s New Horizon which is a tiny brick and mortar store and also sells online.  I’ve purchased from then both in person and via the website.  They sell only high quality products like Vitamix blenders, Excalibur dehydrators, Bellicon rebounders, sprouting equipment and the like.

        New Horizon

        17 Ahuza Street

        Ra’ananna

        054-6945-601