Re: [israel-food] seeking cold nile perch recipes

  • Sharmila Daniel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
      Some sort of Fish terrine....   cooked first then chilled...  recipes usually call for heavy cream, but this is easily omited...  add extra egg white and/or heavy coconut cream.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
        Would you tell me why you eat only previously frozen nile perch? Can one get fresh nile perch here? And does the same apply to other fish?
        I am very interested as I have to be careful with fish.
        Thank you.
        Valerie

        > To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
        > From: geoffreymendelson@...
        > Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 22:31:22 +0300
        > Subject: Re: [israel-food] seeking cold nile perch recipes
        >
        > On 06/03/2013 10:08 PM, Tamar wrote:
        > > Seeking recipes for Nile perch that can be served cold – any ideas?
        > >

        > I'm willing to bet that this is not what you want, but it makes great
        > shashimi. :-)
        >
        > For health reasons, I only eat previously frozen nile perch.
        >
        > Geoff.
        >

        > --
        > Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
        > It's Spring here in Jerusalem!!!

        > <*> Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        > <*> To change settings online go to:
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > <*> To change settings via email:
        > israel-food-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > israel-food-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Charles Steyer
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
          Hi Geoff,

          I could be mistaken but I was under the impresiion all Nile Perch was frozen, being shipped over from Africa, specifically Lake Victoria.

          BR//Charles

          --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

          > On 06/03/2013 10:08 PM, Tamar wrote:
          > > Seeking recipes for Nile perch that can be served cold – any ideas?
          > >

          > I'm willing to bet that this is not what you want, but it makes great
          > shashimi. :-)
          >
          > For health reasons, I only eat previously frozen nile perch.
          >
          > Geoff.
          >

          > --
          > Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
          > It's Spring here in Jerusalem!!!

        • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
            On 06/04/2013 04:36 PM, Charles Steyer wrote:
            > Hi Geoff,
            >
            > I could be mistaken but I was under the impresiion all Nile Perch was
            > frozen, being shipped over from Africa, specifically Lake Victoria.

            I have no idea. I only see it in frozen chunks because that's what my
            wife buys. It may be sold fresh, we often get fresh salmon. I've never
            asked her to get fresh nile perch. :-)

            Geoff.

            It's Spring here in Jerusalem!!!
          • Cara Bereck
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2013
              Most, if not all, is caught in Lake Victoria, where it is actually an invasive species. It has not been successfully farmed in economically viable quantities.
              Did I see someone mention using it in sushi? Truthfully, I would not eat it raw. I would not trust the conditions under which it was caught or cleaned, and Lake Victoria is a shallow body of water that is bordered by very densely populated areas, and it is very highly polluted by raw sewage.
              Maybe if you freeze it in a deep freeze for a few days...but I'd still be squeamish about it.

              Cara Bereck Levy
              Techshoret Moderator
              www.techshoret.com
              Technical Publications
              Unitronics
              www.unitronics.com

              A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.
              Frank Zappa
            • lawmann7
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 10, 2013