Re: olive oil fraud

  • Nili Marcia
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 28 8:39 AM

      Thanks for this olive oil info, Ruth.

      Nili Marcia

    • Caryn Lipson
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2013
        Although everyone is upset about the fraud in Israel be aware that it's not a uniquely Israeli problem (although one would hope that kosher food producers and mashgichim would answer to a higher authority), olive oil fraud actually goes back to ancient times. I believe it was discussed in the Talmud also.

        Several months ago the JPost had an article about olive oil produced in Israel and the problem with competition from imported oils (including mention of the fact that Wisotsky's oils are not totally Israeli even though that's what the label would lead you to believe).

        I actually did a post about olive oil - specifically about olive oil fraud and kashrut concerns a little more than a month ago. I  explained what to look for when buying olive oil, like degree of acidity, and how to taste your oil to see if it's the real thing.
      • ncoom
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2013
          Olive oil from Meshek Achiya, my neighbors, came through with flying colors as one of five Israeli olive oil producers with the highest ranking!!

          shalom,
          ncoom

          We're all here because we're not all there

          On May 1, 2013, at 3:55 PM, Caryn Lipson wrote:

          Although everyone is upset about the fraud in Israel be aware that it's not a uniquely Israeli problem (although one would hope that kosher food producers and mashgichim would answer to a higher authority), olive oil fraud actually goes back to ancient times. I believe it was discussed in the Talmud also.

          Several months ago the JPost had an article about olive oil produced in Israel and the problem with competition from imported oils (including mention of the fact that Wisotsky's oils are not totally Israeli even though that's what the label would lead you to believe).

          I actually did a post about olive oil - specifically about olive oil fraud and kashrut concerns a little more than a month ago. I  explained what to look for when buying olive oil, like degree of acidity, and how to taste your oil to see if it's the real thing.

        • Barukh Nahon
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2013
            I've usually bought olive oils with the certification sticker, and since I had a walk around the Achiah olive trees near Shiloh, that's the one I buy. However, I was born and raised in Spain, where oil is as basic as  bread or milk, and it's hard to me to get used to this delicatessen prices for olive oils that are nothing special (in a taste and quality sense, in a religious, even zioni sense, I'd never buy a spanish olive oil here, even if it's better!)

            Enviat des de Samsung Mobile