Anyone know if Urad Dal (lentil) (vigna mungo) can be found here

  • Sharmila
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20 11:56 AM
      Here's a wikipedia page of the lentil I mean. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urad_%28bean%29

      It's black on the outsider like black beans, but white inside. It requires a much shorter cooking time than the black bean --- behaves like a mung bean. I tried to buy something i thought looked like it at the shuk, but those did not soften up like urad dal is supposed to.

      If anyone has cooked with this and knows what to ask/look for here I'd appreciate it.

      Also, about mung beans... I looked in previous threads, but I could not decipher what the hebrew name for this is-- "mache", "mash"??
      Also are mung beans here available already hulled... in their inside yellow glory?

      Thanks
    • Frankels
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21 2:29 AM
        I've found mung dal at the East/West shop on Agrippas (now located opposite Binyan Klal). You have to ask for mesh dal. They are the split yellow ones. I don't recall seeing urad dal there.

        Tziporah Frankel