Re: [israel-food] Kitchen remodel: Am I wrong...

  • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2013
      On 02/28/2013 02:21 PM, Joan Weinberg wrote:
      > …in assuming that when the kitchen person came to take a measurement,
      > that if he made a mistake by 2cm (about 1") and the final result is a
      > bad fit, then something needs to be done about this?
      >
      > The new kitchen was put in today. There's a 2cm space between the tall
      > cupboard that holds the micro and stove, and the wall. The carpenter
      > said he did this on purpose. Hmmm. As far as I know, it's supposed to be
      > snug against the wall. The carpenter's mantra is "Measure, and before
      > cutting measure again."
      >
      > Now what? Demand a whole new cupboard with the additional 2cm? Just get
      > him to add a 2cm strip which will annoy me the rest of my life? Ask for
      > a reduction in price, I guess. Or will this be seen as petty?

      In a year you will thank him. In five, you may be sorry that he did not
      leave more space.

      Geoff.

      It's Spring here in Jerusalem!!!
    • סוזי פם
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2013

        I'm pretty sure the reason is so air can circulate around the oven and not heat up the cabinets that contain it. My cupboard that houses the oven and micro is also about an inch or so away from the wall.
        Now if it were a kitchen cabinet that holds dishes, etc, that would be another story.
        Good luck and congrats on the new kitchen.
        Susie

        …in assuming that when the kitchen person came to take a measurement, that if he made a mistake by 2cm (about 1") and the final result is a bad fit, then something needs to be done about this?

        The new kitchen was put in today. There's a 2cm space between the tall cupboard that holds the micro and stove, and the wall. The carpenter said he did this on purpose. Hmmm. As far as I know, it's supposed to be snug against the wall. The carpenter's mantra is "Measure, and before cutting measure again."

        Now what? Demand a whole new cupboard with the additional 2cm? Just get him to add a 2cm strip which will annoy me the rest of my life? Ask for a reduction in price, I guess. Or will this be seen as petty?

        Joan

        No virus found in this message.

      • Rochelle Eissenstat
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2 10:36 AM
          It is definitely NOT petty. But what idiotic response! That being said, however, what is accepted in the US and here is that a narrow trim is installed to cover that 2 cm width of a gap and that is OK b/c the kitchen makers often use standard size cabinets to fill the kitchen as best as they can and then deal with such small gaps by covering them. He should not charge you any additional moneyI personally would look carefully at the gap and decide whether it may be a useful space for storing narrow things like a blech or broom & sponja. If not, then a filler for that gap is really not unsightly, it is common.

          Rochelle Eissenstat