RE: [israel-food] Re: chamin with wheat

  • Valerie Justman
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
      Thank you so much.
      Valerie

      To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
      From: yocheved@...
      Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:58:21 +0200
      Subject: Re: [israel-food] Re: chamin with wheat

      Wheat berries. Chita in Hebrew. Looks sort of like whole barly or rice or whatever. If you can't eat wheat, try spelt. You can get whole spelt (Tavlinei Chananya in the Bucharim shuk in Y-m sells it)

      On 2/14/2013 9:57 AM, Valerie Justman wrote:

      What form does the wheat take? What is it called? Is it wheat germ?
      Thanks.
      Valerie

    • Cara
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 16, 2013
        I posted a picture of my hamin pot on our FB group page.
        Here is a description of my method--no bags.

        -Pick through wheat kernels and put them to soak.
        -Pick through chickpeas and put them to soak.
        - Peel some potatoes and wash some eggs.
        -Heat olive oil, in a good, big thick-bottomed pot, and sear whatever meat you are using ( these were short ribs).
        When the meat is done, remove it from the pot.
        -Brown coarsely chopped onion in the same grease. Add a chopped tomato if you have one around.

        To assemble(first remove pot from heat :-))
        Drain the wheat and the chickpeas. I like to have everything separate, so I use the meat to separate them; I put the wheat on one side of the pot, then make a 'wall' of beef. I then put the chickpeas, potatoes and eggs on the other side. The reason is that this allows a gravy to collect during cooking without the wheat soaking it all up.
        Now I add water.
        Noticed I haven't given amounts? This is because the amounts are relative. If I have used 2 cups of wheat and 2 chickpeas, I will add 8 cups of water, then add 4 teaspoons of salt, 2 teaspoons of paprika, 1 teaspoon of pepper, and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste ( actually, I just pour it into my palm, but the amounts are fairly accurate.))
        Now, bring it all to a medium boil, and let simmer for 10 minutes. At this point, you can either put it into the oven at 120C, or let it sit for a few hours. You can even refrigerate it all night.

        It must cook, of course, all night

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 17, 2013
          Can you cook it on top of the stove and put on plata before Shabbos?

          Peggy

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 17, 2013
            Boil it on the stove, and either put it on the plata or in the oven; I prefer the oven, but a plata is fine.