Re: chamin with wheat

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 13, 2013
      Is it cooked first?

      --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, Yocheved Krems wrote:

      > I mix the wheat with a sauce of oil, paprika, garlic and pepper. Then
      > put it in a cooking bag and tie it and put it in the cholent. Comes and
      > great. Tastes like jachnun without the marg...
      >
      > Yocheved
      >

      > On 2/13/2013 9:46 PM, themalkins2 wrote:
      > >
      > > Can anyone tell me the secret to adding wheat to chamin (cholent)and
      > > not ending up with mush? I put the wheat in a bag but it never comes
      > > out with whole, separate grains - just clumpy mush.
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >
      > > Ester
      > >
      > > __._,_._

    • Yocheved Krems
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 13, 2013
        Nope.

        Just mix the oil, paprika, pepper, and lots of garlic, and mix it with the uncooked wheat. Put in cooking bag and voila!

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 13, 2013
          So how does it get soft?  Does it absorb liquid through the sealed bag? Sorry to sound so dumb but I rarely cook wheat berries and when I do it seems to take a long time for them to soften up.

          Peggy

          Just mix the oil, paprika, pepper, and lots of garlic, and mix it with the uncooked wheat. Put in cooking bag and voila!

          On 2/13/2013 11:01 PM, Peggy wrote:

          Is it cooked first?

          --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, Yocheved Krems wrote:

          > I mix the wheat with a sauce of oil, paprika, garlic and pepper. Then
          > put it in a cooking bag and tie it and put it in the cholent. Comes and
          > great. Tastes like jachnun without the marg...

        • Valerie Justman
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 13, 2013
            What form does the wheat take? What is it called? Is it wheat germ?
            Thanks.
            Valerie

            To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
            From: yocheved@...
            Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 00:08:27 +0200

            Nope.

            Just mix the oil, paprika, pepper, and lots of garlic, and mix it with the uncooked wheat. Put in cooking bag and voila!

            On 2/13/2013 11:01 PM, Peggy wrote:

            Is it cooked first?

            --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, Yocheved Krems wrote:

            > I mix the wheat with a sauce of oil, paprika, garlic and pepper. Then
            > put it in a cooking bag and tie it and put it in the cholent. Comes and
            > great. Tastes like jachnun without the marg...

          • Shelly Morer
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
              Use a muslin bag or poke holes in a plastic cooking bag.  Mixing the grains with oil in advance helps them remain separate grains.

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                Wheat berries. Chita in Hebrew. Looks sort of like whole barly or rice or whatever. If you can't eat wheat, try spelt. You can get whole spelt (Tavlinei Chananya in the Bucharim shuk in Y-m sells it)

                On 2/14/2013 9:57 AM, Valerie Justman wrote:

                What form does the wheat take? What is it called? Is it wheat germ?
                Thanks.
                Valerie

              • Benzion Eliyahu Lehrer

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                    Thank you so much.
                    Valerie

                    To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                      I haven't used wheat berries in my cholent in quite a few yrs, but when I did, I treated it exactly as I did barley.  Pre-soaked w/ the beans overnight....boil in water and add salt/spices after the beans were soft.  Never came out mushy at all.

                      Shabbat Shalom,
                      Nachama

                      =====================================
                      Nachama Kanner
                      Translator (Hebrew to English)
                      Member of the Israel Translators Association
                      Tel:  972-8-945-3814
                      Fax: 972-8-949-3910
                      <kannery@...>
                      =====================================
                    • shirakestenbaum
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 14, 2013
                        soak 1 cup of wheat berries for a few hours/overnight. drain and rinse. put in a cooky bag with some oil, paprika, several cloves of garlic, salt, pepper. can add one small onion, chopped and fried.

                        OR - season with cinnamon, and a little baharat, garlic, salt, oil

                        Either way, tie the bag, prick it near the top, and smush it down in the cholent pot. Many cooks say to add a cup of water to the bag and then prick the bag - when i've tried it that way, all the water spilled out into the cholent.

                        there is also a tunisian cholent that is made from wheat berries, meat/chicken, and hard boiled eggs (no beans, no potatoes).

                        here is a basic recipe:
                        500 gr wheat berries, soaked
                        1 kg cholent meat, with bones if possible or chicken peices, or mixture.
                        1 tsp cinnamon
                        1-2 tablespoon honey and or sugar
                        dried hot peppers, or hot paprika or regular, harrisa (all to taste)
                        1 whole head of garlic
                        1-2 onions, peeled and chopped
                        eggs, one per person, hard boiled.
                        1 tomato or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
                        optional: sweet potato, white potato.

                        fry the onion, add the peeled garlic, fry until golden. add the tomato, add spices, and sugar/honey.
                        when golden, add meat/chicken, fry a few minutes that add wheat and add water to cover and about one cm over. bring to a boil and cook on low flame about 20 mintues, then transfer to plata or oven. add eggs just before transferring to plata.

                        --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, "themalkins2" wrote:

                        > Can anyone tell me the secret to adding wheat to chamin (cholent)and not ending up with mush? I put the wheat in a bag but it never comes out with whole, separate grains - just clumpy mush.
                        >
                        > Thanks.
                        >
                        > Ester

                      • Cara
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 16, 2013
                          I posted a picture of my hamin pot on our FB group page.
                          Here is a description of my method--no bags.

                          -Pick through wheat kernels and put them to soak.
                          -Pick through chickpeas and put them to soak.
                          - Peel some potatoes and wash some eggs.
                          -Heat olive oil, in a good, big thick-bottomed pot, and sear whatever meat you are using ( these were short ribs).
                          When the meat is done, remove it from the pot.
                          -Brown coarsely chopped onion in the same grease. Add a chopped tomato if you have one around.

                          To assemble(first remove pot from heat :-))
                          Drain the wheat and the chickpeas. I like to have everything separate, so I use the meat to separate them; I put the wheat on one side of the pot, then make a 'wall' of beef. I then put the chickpeas, potatoes and eggs on the other side. The reason is that this allows a gravy to collect during cooking without the wheat soaking it all up.
                          Now I add water.
                          Noticed I haven't given amounts? This is because the amounts are relative. If I have used 2 cups of wheat and 2 chickpeas, I will add 8 cups of water, then add 4 teaspoons of salt, 2 teaspoons of paprika, 1 teaspoon of pepper, and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste ( actually, I just pour it into my palm, but the amounts are fairly accurate.))
                          Now, bring it all to a medium boil, and let simmer for 10 minutes. At this point, you can either put it into the oven at 120C, or let it sit for a few hours. You can even refrigerate it all night.

                          It must cook, of course, all night

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 17, 2013
                            Can you cook it on top of the stove and put on plata before Shabbos?

                            Peggy

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 17, 2013
                              Boil it on the stove, and either put it on the plata or in the oven; I prefer the oven, but a plata is fine.