Re: [israel-food] GF substitute for Soy sauce taste

  • Howard & Rivka Finkelstein
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2013
      I found during Pesach when we don't have a fake soy sauce, that using grape juice does the trick, adds flavour, no allergies and readily available..
      Rivka
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013

        That's an interesting idea, thanks! I might try it, or even a little red wine now that I think about it.
        Bracha

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 17, 2013
          "Gluten analysis of two popular soy sauces

          We sent a sample of soy sauce of the brands Kikkoman and Lima to an external laboratory to determine gluten levels. In both samples the gluten content was below detection limit of 5ppm (see report ). According to a new European legislation, which will only be fully implemented in 2012, gluten-free foodstuffs should contain less than 20 ppm gluten. The FDA also proposes a limit of 20 ppm. This means that our two tested products may be considered as gluten-free soy sauce.

          Conclusion

          The tested naturally fermented soy sauces are gluten-free and will probably not cause adverse reaction in gluten sensitive persons, especially when considering the small daily quantities of soy sauce used. Highly sensitive individuals who want to be 100% sure should use soy sauce which are advertised as gluten-free and which do not contain grains as ingredients. Tamari soy sauces are typically produced without wheat, but some brands do not follow this tradition and are not wheat-free."

          http://www.soya.be/gluten-free-soy-sauce.php