Re: [israel-food] Brocolli Kugel - What if I leave out the mayo?

  • Howard & Rivka Finkelstein
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 29, 2012
      What's the recipe? I never use mayo in my kugel
      Rivka
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 29, 2012
        I use 3 Tble of low fat mayo (lite) another option is tehina

        Acts of Kindness will Bring Moshiach
        Menashe and Alizah Hochstead
        058-47-77004 (Alizah)
        058-45-77003(Menashe)

        To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
        From: beagle.eyes@...
        Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 13:52:44 -0800

        If it is savory kugel, not the sweet type, I would try substituting fat free sour cream or cottage cheese for some of the mayo, unless you don’t want dairy.  Another trick it to use dry powdered coffee creamer for a more custardy texture.

        Please help! I'm not a seasoned kugel cooker and I'm panicking here.

        I'm balking at the cup of mayo my friend's delicious broccoli kugel recipe calls for. I'd like to make it healthier without compromising on taste.

        What if I halve the mayo? Will it be dry? How about substituting applesauce for part of it? Could that work, or would it just taste too appley?

        Thanks for any advice.

        Shabbat Shalom,

        Suzie

        No virus found in this message.

        No virus found in this message.

      • Caroline Tabach
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 29, 2012

          When I used a recipe calling for mayo it seemed it replaced oil. So if you substitute something else, take this in to account

          Sent from my mobile
          Caroline Tabach
          ctabach@...

          On 30 בדצמ 2012 00:24, "Suzie" <suzierussell@...> wrote:
          Please help! I'm not a seasoned kugel cooker and I'm panicking here.

          I'm balking at the cup of mayo my friend's delicious broccoli kugel recipe calls for. I'd like to make it healthier without compromising on taste.

          What if I halve the mayo? Will it be dry? How about substituting applesauce for part of it? Could that work, or would it just taste too appley?

          Thanks for any advice.

          Shabbat Shalom,

          Suzie

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              israel-food-digest@yahoogroups.com
              israel-food-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Yocheved Krems

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
              now how about the recipe ! I'll use rice milk and lactose free white cheese to thicken the milk

              --
              Don't worry about tomorrow !
              After all, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

              Have a great day,

              Bette
            • Suzie
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
                Thanks, everyone, for your ideas to nix the mayo. I'm going to try reducing the mayo by half and see what happens. Maybe put some gvina levana or coffee whitener in, not sure yet. It's a pretty wet kugel anyway from the broccoli - all that splodgy white goop must be in place of oil, mayo has TONS in. Who needs all those extra empty calories from fat?

                Rivka, if you have a delicious recipe for no-mayo, (no oil),brocolli kugel please send it to me!

                Here's the recipe my kids like:

                A bag of frozen brocolli (800g)
                5 eggs
                3/4 cup mayo
                1 finely chopped onion
                1 tablespoon garlic powder
                1/4 cup flour
                1/2 tablespoon onion soup mix
                1/2 tablespoon chicken soup mix
                1/2 tea-spoon salt
                1 tea-spoon baking powder

                Cook brocolli till mushy and mash it. Mix all ingredients. Pour into a greased 8x8 inch pan. Bake for 40-45 mins at 350 F till firm and lightly browned on top.

                --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, "Howard & Rivka Finkelstein" <hrfinkelstein@...> wrote:

                > What's the recipe? I never use mayo in my kugel
                > Rivka

              • Charles Steyer
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
                  Mayo is basically oil, egg/egg yolk and an acid (lemon juice/vinegar) blended together. The egg yolk (lecithin) allows the acid and the oil to form a stable blend (emulsification) otherwise the oil would always rise to the top.

                  Many recipes calling for mayo, actually just need to have oil and eggs included. Other recipes are looking for the rich base that mayo provides.

                  I believe that in this case oil and eggs would suffice.

                  BR//Chuck

                  --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, Bette Lubin <bbooper@...> wrote:

                  > now how about the recipe ! I'll use rice milk and lactose free white cheese
                  > to thicken the milk
                  > On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Yocheved Krems <
                  > yocheved@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > My recipe uses soymilk (which I make myself to avoid the sugar and
                  > > chemicals...).
                  > >
                  > > Yocheved
                  > >
                  > > On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Suzie <suzierussell@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> **
                  > >>

                  > >> Please help! I'm not a seasoned kugel cooker and I'm panicking here.
                  > >>
                  > >> I'm balking at the cup of mayo my friend's delicious broccoli kugel
                  > >> recipe calls for. I'd like to make it healthier without compromising on
                  > >> taste.
                  > >>
                  > >> What if I halve the mayo? Will it be dry? How about substituting
                  > >> applesauce for part of it? Could that work, or would it just taste too
                  > >> appley?
                  > >>
                  > >> Thanks for any advice.
                  > >>
                  > >> Shabbat Shalom,
                  > >>
                  > >> Suzie
                  > >>

                  > --
                  > Don't worry about tomorrow !
                  > After all, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
                  >
                  > Have a great day,
                  >
                  > Bette

                • alizah hochstead
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
                    My basic Broccoli Kugel is 1 bag of Bodek Broccoli defrosted
                                                             3 Tbl of light mayo
                                                             3 large eggs
                                                             3 Tbl flour, pancake mix, potato starch or crushed cereal (can be gluten free_
                                                             3 Tbl of soup mix or assorted spices
                    Mix together, pour into pan and bake at 180 for 30 minutes or until done....Temp is in centigrade

                    To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
                    From: suzierussell@...
                    Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:36:35 +0000
                    Subject: [israel-food] Re: Brocolli Kugel - What if I leave out the mayo?

                    Thanks, everyone, for your ideas to nix the mayo. I'm going to try reducing the mayo by half and see what happens. Maybe put some gvina levana or coffee whitener in, not sure yet. It's a pretty wet kugel anyway from the broccoli - all that splodgy white goop must be in place of oil, mayo has TONS in. Who needs all those extra empty calories from fat?

                    Rivka, if you have a delicious recipe for no-mayo, (no oil),brocolli kugel please send it to me!

                    Here's the recipe my kids like:

                    A bag of frozen brocolli (800g)
                    5 eggs
                    3/4 cup mayo
                    1 finely chopped onion
                    1 tablespoon garlic powder
                    1/4 cup flour
                    1/2 tablespoon onion soup mix
                    1/2 tablespoon chicken soup mix
                    1/2 tea-spoon salt
                    1 tea-spoon baking powder

                    Cook brocolli till mushy and mash it. Mix all ingredients. Pour into a greased 8x8 inch pan. Bake for 40-45 mins at 350 F till firm and lightly browned on top.

                    --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, "Howard & Rivka Finkelstein" <hrfinkelstein@...> wrote:

                    > What's the recipe? I never use mayo in my kugel
                    > Rivka

                  • yidels_vittles
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 30, 2012
                      Mayonnaise adds creaminess as well as subtle flavor.  If you want to make the recipe taste as close to the original as possible because you like the flavor and texture, but want to reduce the oil, then use a low-fat mayo.  Or, substitute silken or soft tofu or a non-dairy creamer for half of the mayo.  If you are trying to cut down on eggs, use an egg-free mayo.

                                                                                                                                                                   Brad Yidel Wolff
                                                                                                                                                                   Yidel's Vittles

                      --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, "Suzie" wrote:

                      > Please help! I'm not a seasoned kugel cooker and I'm panicking here.
                      >
                      > I'm balking at the cup of mayo my friend's delicious broccoli kugel recipe calls for. I'd like to make it healthier without compromising on taste.
                      >
                      > What if I halve the mayo? Will it be dry? How about substituting applesauce for part of it? Could that work, or would it just taste too appley?
                      >
                      > Thanks for any advice.
                      >
                      > Shabbat Shalom,
                      >
                      > Suzie

                    • April Hardy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013

                        Excuse my lack of knowledge but I have always believed kugel had noodles or rice.  The recipe below sounds like quishe.  What is the true definition of kugel?

                        Thanks

                        From: suzierussell@...
                        Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:36:35 +0000

                        Thanks, everyone, for your ideas to nix the mayo. I'm going to try reducing the mayo by half and see what happens. Maybe put some gvina levana or coffee whitener in, not sure yet. It's a pretty wet kugel anyway from the broccoli - all that splodgy white goop must be in place of oil, mayo has TONS in. Who needs all those extra empty calories from fat?

                        Rivka, if you have a delicious recipe for no-mayo, (no oil),brocolli kugel please send it to me!

                        Here's the recipe my kids like:

                        A bag of frozen brocolli (800g)
                        5 eggs
                        3/4 cup mayo
                        1 finely chopped onion
                        1 tablespoon garlic powder
                        1/4 cup flour
                        1/2 tablespoon onion soup mix
                        1/2 tablespoon chicken soup mix
                        1/2 tea-spoon salt
                        1 tea-spoon baking powder

                        Cook brocolli till mushy and mash it. Mix all ingredients. Pour into a greased 8x8 inch pan. Bake for 40-45 mins at 350 F till firm and lightly browned on top.

                        --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, "Howard & Rivka Finkelstein" <hrfinkelstein@...> wrote:

                        > What's the recipe? I never use mayo in my kugel
                        > Rivka

                      • Karen Eisenberg
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
                          Kugel is Yiddish for pudding.  It's something cooked, in little pieces or pureed, and then held together by eggs, usually.  Commonly served on Shabbat because as a cooked, dry dish you can reheat it easily without violating the laws of Shabbat.  Vegetable kugel are common -potato is probably THE most common kugel out there - but all kinds of grains are common, as are fruits like apple, or mixtures of all of the above.   They can be savory or sweet.  They can be dairy (cottage cheese and noodle is popular) but most are parve.

                          Karen

                          From: suzierussell@...
                          Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:36:35 +0000

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 3, 2013
                            As a side note, the kugel that you are thinking of is lakshen [sic] kugel (noodle kugel). The Sephardi also have their own style of kugel known as pasthida, usually savory but can be anything.

                            Happy eating//Chuck

                            --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, "April Hardy" wrote:

                            > Excuse my lack of knowledge but I have always believed kugel had noodles or
                            > rice. The recipe below sounds like quishe. What is the true definition of
                            > kugel?
                            >
                            > Thanks

                          • Howard & Rivka Finkelstein
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 6, 2013
                              Kugel can be made of noodles, rice, potatoes, broccoli, zucchini, apple, anything that is more of a solid form, has eggs to hold it together, made in honour of Shabbos.. we try to get 7 ingredients in it .. in honour of Shabbos... kugels evolve depending on where we live...
                              Rivka