Re: [israel-food] bulgar

  • sammy ominsky
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2012
      Bulgar and kasha are not the same thing!

      Bulgar (or burgul) is cracked wheat berries, while kasha is buckwheat groats. The cold salad on the back of the package is probably tabouli.

      You can prepare bulgur any way you like, but I have no idea what it's going to taste like with egg and onion :)

      sambo

      On Dec 27, 2012, at 7:06 AM, fredmarn wrote:

      > hi, I usually buy Bulgar (kasha ) from Amirica.
      > But I saw this package here of "Bulgar " and decided to try it.
      > It is very light colored compaired to what I'm used to.
      > It has a recipie on the back to make a cold salad.
      > My question is can I make it as I would the Kasha from the states with an egg, onion, like a rice ?
      > thanks
      >
      > or what else can I make from it ?
    • Cara
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2012
        > On Dec 27, 2012, at 7:06 AM, fredmarn wrote:
        >
        > > hi, I usually buy Bulgar (kasha ) from Amirica.
        > > But I saw this package here of "Bulgar " and decided to try it.
        <

        One other thing--in the US, the kasha I bought was always roasted. The kasha sold here is not always roasted, and it makes a BIG difference in the taste.

        And now I really want some kasha varnishkas cooked in shmaltz--which I think my Iraqi husband and hybrid kids would laugh at even more than they do at gefilte fish :-)
        Cara
      • Bette Lubin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2013
          bulgar isn't kasha. I "roast" my kasha for a few minutes in a dry frying pan on the gas.

          --
          Don't worry about tomorrow !
          After all, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

          Have a great day,

          Bette