Re: Greek Yogurt?

  • anniceyg
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
      In the U.S., you can even get fatfree Greek yogurt, and it is nice and thick. The stuff here has 3% fat, I believe, so I don't buy it. For a very short period, Supersol (Shufersal, if you prefer) was selling 0% yogurt imported from Greece, but that disappeared, as do many good things here.

      Annice

    • fredibooks@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
        gad Greek yogurt. It comes in a glass jar with a blue lid. it is delicious,consistency of sour cream but a bit tarter.

        Sent from my iPad
      • Mirjam Weiss
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2012
          The Greek yogurt I've seen with the Yoplait brand is 7% fat!

          Mirj
          Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from Pelephone

          From: "anniceyg" <annice@...>
          Sender: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 13:02:23 -0000
          To: <israel-food@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [israel-food] Re: Greek Yogurt?

          In the U.S., you can even get fatfree Greek yogurt, and it is nice and thick. The stuff here has 3% fat, I believe, so I don't buy it. For a very short period, Supersol (Shufersal, if you prefer) was selling 0% yogurt imported from Greece, but that disappeared, as do many good things here.

          Annice

          --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, "Cara" <cara_bereck@...> wrote:

          > There are also brands here that market it as 'balkan'. Same thick yogurt.
          > Marketing ploy or or not, the yogurt I have had in different part of Greece is much thicker and more flavorful than standard yogurt either here or in the US. What is marketed as 'greek yogurt' comes closer, but most of the yogurt I have had in Greece was produced by small dairies. not commercial operations, which probably makes a difference.
          >
          > I imagine one might get similar results using full-fat milk and draining it.
          > I wonder if the local cultures used differ? I haven't looked into it.
          > Cara
          >
          > --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, "April Hardy" <beagle.eyes@> wrote:
          > >
          > > You can strain regular yogurt through a cheese cloth to get out the water
          > > but that won't make it less sour.

        • Varda Meyers Epstein
          Message 4 of 16 , May 13
            I am working on losing weight and one of the tips I read was to eat Greek yogurt within two hours of waking up. I read that Greek yogurt is thicker because the whey is strained off and that you can tell it's Greek yogurt by the ingredients list. It should be only milk and active cultures.

            I'm not finding anything like this in the dairy section of local supermarkets. Is it a specialty item here? Like something you find in a health food store? Is it even obtainable (yet another thing I have to make from scratch??)?

            Does anyone know of a brand of Greek yogurt that I can look for here in Israel?
            Varda Epstein
            Efrat
            "No matter how short your wife is, lean down and take her advice."
            Bava Metzia 59a
          • Rivka Wildman
            Message 5 of 16 , May 13

              I am not 100% sure, but I think that if Greek yogurt is strained yogurt, you should be able to obtain the same results by straining it yourself.  Just put plain yogurt (unflavored/unsweetened) in a cheesecloth and let it drain until it's the right consistency.  Not exactly making from scratch, just a bit of planning ahead.  Good luck!

              On May 13, 2015 10:54 AM, "Varda Meyers Epstein yknowus@... [israel-food]" <israel-food@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              I am working on losing weight and one of the tips I read was to eat Greek yogurt within two hours of waking up. I read that Greek yogurt is thicker because the whey is strained off and that you can tell it's Greek yogurt by the ingredients list. It should be only milk and active cultures.

              I'm not finding anything like this in the dairy section of local supermarkets. Is it a specialty item here? Like something you find in a health food store? Is it even obtainable (yet another thing I have to make from scratch??)?

              Does anyone know of a brand of Greek yogurt that I can look for here in Israel?
              Varda Epstein
              Efrat
              "No matter how short your wife is, lean down and take her advice."
              Bava Metzia 59a
            • geoffrey mendelson
              Message 6 of 16 , May 13
                On 5/13/2015 10:30 AM, Varda Meyers Epstein yknowus@... [israel-food] wrote:

                I am working on losing weight and one of the tips I read was to eat Greek yogurt within two hours of waking up. I read that Greek yogurt is thicker because the whey is strained off and that you can tell it's Greek yogurt by the ingredients list. It should be only milk and active cultures.

                I'm not finding anything like this in the dairy section of local supermarkets. Is it a specialty item here? Like something you find in a health food store? Is it even obtainable (yet another thing I have to make from scratch??)?

                Does anyone know of a brand of Greek yogurt that I can look for here in Israel?
                Varda Epstein

                Greek yogurt is a marketing ploy to make people pay lots of money for something available much cheaper and is also easy to make at home.

                Some basic science first:

                Yogurt is created by a bacteria. The bacteria have short lives and multiply quickly. They make the protein in milk harden. When they die, they put out an acid. Acids taste sour. The bacteria are one of the many friendly bacteria that live in your intestines. Without them you would not be able to digest milk. People eat yogurt hoping the bacteria will survive in their digestive system until they can find a home in your intestines.

                These bacteria are sold in yogurt. Active yogurt has live bacteria, it's also called BIO here. Some active yogurts are really dead anyway, they may have been live when they were put in the container, but they are dead when you get them. The Strauss bio are active, the one with active in the name is not. Some marketing genius figured out that they could put dried yogurt in a capsule and sell it to you as "probotics". They make a fortune for a little dried yogurt selling to the uneducated.

                To make yogurt, you warm PASTEURIZED or STERILIZED milk (raw or unpasteurized milk contains too many bad bacteria to be used for yogurt) to about 100F (40C), then you inoculate it with a live culture (add a couple of tablespoons of active yogurt) and leave it sit in a warm place.  Once the bacteria "take hold" they yogurt gets its characteristic odor and starts to solidify. If you stop it (put in a refrigerator)  when it is first solid, you get a mild acid taste. If you leave it sit for more time, for example 4 hours for mild, 8 hours for sour, it becomes sour tasting.  The timing at home is not exact, you have to taste it. DO NOT put the spoon back in the yogurt, you will contaminate it.

                In the US, the yogurt sold on the east coast was always sour, on the west cost mild.

                A greek dairy company wanted to expand into the US market, so they started selling "greek yogurt". It was strained, mild yogurt, manufactured in greece and shipped by boat to the US. Since it was advertised as special, people bought it, not realizing what it was, and why it was so expensive.

                Here it is sold as leben, of which there are several varieties. I find the gil brand to be mild. It's also relatively low fat, but still 5%.

                Since there is a fryer born every minute (to quote P. T. Barnumsky), here some of the high priced dairy companies repackage the mild leben in fancy packages, one of them used a glass jar, and call it greek yogurt. :-)

                The main advantage of making yogurt at home is that you can control the amount of acid, the amount of fat, and it is fresh.

                If you want homemade "greek yogurt", take your  yogurt (bought off the shelf or home made), sit in in the fridge overnight in a coffee filter dripping into a bowl.

                Now some dietary science.

                1. The best way to loose weight is to eat as little calories as possible, preferably with the most volume. So greek yogurt, which has little water in it, and lots of fat may be a bad choice. Regular 0% fat yogurt, water and all, will fill you more per calorie.

                2. Calcium, which dairy products, especially yogurt is loaded with, are a two edged sword. While everyone needs calcium, it inhibits the absorption of iron. So if you are taking calcium supplements, or eating lots of dairy, it should be done as far as possible from anything containing iron, or you will become anemic.

                Now an opinion,

                If you are eating yogurt to lose weight, commercial greek yogurt is a bad choice for a daily item. It should be part of a rotation of dairy products in your diet, if you like it. HOWEVER, if you plan to have one for breakfast or a 10am snack, and then have an iron rich food, e.g. meat for lunch, it's really a bad idea.
                Geoff.

                --
                Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ
                Jerusalem Israel.
                Message 7 of 16 , May 13
                  I'v seen a few brands, this is Strauss:

                  Cara Bereck Levy
                  Techshoret Moderator
                  www.techshoret.com
                  Technical Publications
                  Unitronics
                  www.unitronics.com

                  A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.
                  Frank Zappa
                • alizah hochstead
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 13

                    Menashe and Alizah Hochstead
                    Acts of Kindness will bring Moshiach
                    058-47-770-04

                    To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 14
                          >Here it is sold as leben, of which there are several varieties. I find
                          the gil brand to be mild. It's also relatively low fat, but still 5%.<

                          Leben is something else--I think you meant to type Lebeneh, or Labenah.
                          The Greek yogurt I have had in Greece and from Greek groceries in the US is close, and is made from drained yogurt in the same way, but in my experience it is less sour than lebeneh.
                          But, I think you have inspired me to innoculate some milk with my favorite Strauss bio, and play around with it to hit my preferred level of sour :-)
                          I eat plain yogurt every day for breakfast. I love it :-)