Slow cooking failure

  • Antony Gelberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hi all,

      I followed it as accurately as I could. I used 400ml coconut milk which it specified 400g for, and used the ground ginger not the fresh.

      It was probably one of the worst things I've cooked.  The chicken was okay (not dry), but the sauce was without character, and far too wet in my opinion.

      Any thoughts from the gurus here?  Bad recipe or bad implementation?  I can't believe it is meant to serve 6 - there was enough for 3, which was fine but still, perhaps there is just a problem here.

      Antony

    • yidels_vittles
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2012
              Even though I am a vegan chef, it is obvious to me that there would be only 3 servings.  Whether using mock chicken or real chicken, 6 to 8 ounces is the standard portion size for one person as a main dish.  Brown the chicken, mock or real, in oil (about 2 tablespoons) for better flavor.
              Also, saute the onion in oil (about 2 tablespoons) until translucent.  Then, add the fresh ginger and garlic and saute until the onion starts to caramelize  (If it was a Jewish recipe, I would fully caramelize the onions).  Fresh ginger adds a lot more flavor and character to the dish than powdered.  But, use 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) powdered (1 teaspoon in-place-of/per-inch of fresh ginger) if you can't find fresh and  add it only the last 30 seconds of sauteeing.  Also, add the ground coriander and cumin the last 30 seconds of sauteeing.  Oil is the best flavor carrier...the major flavor components in spices are oil based...and sauteening spices in oil brings out those flavors.
             Regular coconut milk will add more body and flavor than light coconut milk.  The difference between
        regular and light coconut milk is the light is diluted by half with water.
             The recipe mentions salt but does not give a guideline measurement.  Salt is the best flavor enhancer.  Thus, I would add at least 3/4 teaspoon (1/4 teaspoon per portion) of salt, taste it and add more if necessary.

                                                                                                                                                          Brad Yidel Wolff
                                                                                                                                                          Yidel's Vittles

        --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, Antony Gelberg <antony.gelberg@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > This is regarding the recipe at
        > https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ao-buiSGNoAB5fN_RM-wHtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
        >
        > I followed it as accurately as I could. I used 400ml coconut milk which it
        > specified 400g for, and used the ground ginger not the fresh.
        >
        > It was probably one of the worst things I've cooked. The chicken was okay
        > (not dry), but the sauce was without character, and far too wet in my
        > opinion.
        >
        > Any thoughts from the gurus here? Bad recipe or bad implementation? I
        > can't believe it is meant to serve 6 - there was enough for 3, which was
        > fine but still, perhaps there is just a problem here.
        >
        > Antony
        >

        > --
        > http://www.linkedin.com/in/antgel
        > http://twitter.com/antgel

      • Rochelle Eissenstat
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2012
          In other versions of this Indonesian Chicken & Courgette recipe, the rice is UNCOOKED at the start. The amount of dark or white chicken pieces is at least twice what is in your recipe. The chicken is first browned. Then after it is removed, the aromatics are sauteed and the spices added. Do not change the fresh ginger!!! Powdered ginger is not nearly as strong and you are complaining of the blandness of the final dish! Use about 2 or more teaspoons salt. Add the liquids to the pan.
          Then the uncooked rice is added to all the liquid, put back the chicken, and cook so that the volume of spiced liquids is absorbed into the rice. The chicken simmers along with the aromatics & spices until both chicken & rice are almost done [15 minutes?], with the diced courgettes [kishuim here] added then, and the whole dish simmered, covered, until rice & chicken tender. There should be very little liquid left if you begin with uncooked rather than cooked rice.

          Rochelle Eissenstat