Re: [israel-food] Random question

  • Andy Levy-Stevenson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2012
      I could be wrong, but I don't think chard & beet greens are the same thing.

      You can use the leaves of each in the same way, much as you can substitute collards for kale, etc.

      But they're different plants.

      --
      Andy Levy-Stevenson

      On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Peggy <kitchenella@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      I recently discovered that "Swiss Chard" is simply beet greens. So I bought some of the greens with the white stems for a Chard Mushroom Leek soup recipe. It was yummy BTW. That made me notice that the red beets they sell in my market (Rami Levi) do not come with greens attached.

      #1 question: What do they do with the red beet greens?

      #2 question: What do they do with the (I assume ) 'golden' beets that were attached to the 'white' beet greens.

      Peggy in Beitar Illit.

    • alizah hochstead
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2012
        Can't answer your question but I stir fry "beet greens" (they aren't beet greens) with lots of garlic and mushrooms. Yum.

        Acts of kindness will bring Moshiach
        Menashe and Alizah Hochstead

        050-54-770-04

        To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
        From: kitchenella@...
        Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 05:35:33 +0000
        Subject: [israel-food] Random question

        #1 question: What do they do with the red beet greens?

        #2 question: What do they do with the (I assume ) 'golden' beets that were attached to the 'white' beet greens.

        Peggy in Beitar Illit.

      • Marc Gottlieb
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2012

          What is called Swiss Chard is a different variety of beet that is grown specifically for its greens.

          The greens on the beetroots interfere with packing and are more prone to bugs and spoilage, so they're probably mulched at the farm.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chard

          Marc

          To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
          From: kitchenella@...
          Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 05:35:33 +0000

          #1 question: What do they do with the red beet greens?

          #2 question: What do they do with the (I assume ) 'golden' beets that were attached to the 'white' beet greens.

          Peggy in Beitar Illit.

          --
          Marc Gottlieb
          marc@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2012

            Swiss chard is not the same as beet greens, however, for reasons unknown to everyone I've ever spoken to, swiss chard's Hebrew name is "alei selek" which translates literally to "beet leaves".  AFAIK, no one ever uses the leaves attached to beets here, which is why they are almost always cut off.

            <<<{{{ Sarah in Jerusalem }}}>>>
             If mathematically you end up with the wrong answer,
            try multiplying by the page number.  Or the number of teeth you have left.

            #1 question: What do they do with the red beet greens?

            #2 question: What do they do with the (I assume ) 'golden' beets that were attached to the 'white' beet greens.

            Peggy in Beitar Illit.

          • Peggy
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2012
              This is where I got my information:  http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/seasonalcooking/farmtotable/visualguidecookinggreens   They mention "beet greens" separately showing a picture of the common red beet but from the discription of Chard it obviously is the leaf of various types of beets.  If one can believe the chart.

              Peggy

              #1 question: What do they do with the red beet greens?

              #2 question: What do they do with the (I assume ) 'golden' beets that were attached to the 'white' beet greens.

              Peggy in Beitar Illit.

            • Andy Levy-Stevenson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2012
                The beets we get from our CSA, Chubeza, came with leaves at the beginning of the season. We always used them and rather enjoyed them.

                --
                Andy Levy-Stevenson

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2012
                  But they sell the greens with the white stems in bug free packages.  Why don't they sell the bulbs of those beets?

                  Peggy

                  PS what a waste of the red beet greens.  They are yummy.

                  From: kitchenella@...
                  Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 05:35:33 +0000

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2012
                    But Chard is from a type of beet according to the chart I posted.  Am I to assume the beets that are attatched to chard are not so edible?

                    Peggy

                    #1 question: What do they do with the red beet greens?

                    #2 question: What do they do with the (I assume ) 'golden' beets that were attached to the 'white' beet greens.

                    Peggy in Beitar Illit.

                  • Marc Gottlieb
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 1, 2012
                      By keeping the bulbs in the ground, they continue to produce leaves.

                      From: kitchenella@...
                      Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 05:35:33 +0000

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 3, 2012
                        I have grown chard. It doesn't have a bulb--just roots, or at least this was true of the variety I grew.
                        Cara