Re: salmon again, refreezing?

  • aonghaisthelady
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
      I do not know of any home freezers that only run at 10°F as both my large Blomberg deep freezer and my small 140 cubic litre four-drawer one run at -22­°C [-7.6°F].

      The freezer section of my Tadiran fridge/freezer runs at -20°C [-4°F], all three having been checked for accurate temperatures by a refrigeration engineer.

      --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@...> wrote:

      ...[snip]...

      home freezers are 10F, far to warm
      > to do anything. Deep freezers if set properly and kept closed can
      > reach 0F.

      > Geoff.
      >
      > --
      > Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
      > To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 150
      > Facebooks.

    • Sharmila
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2012
        This is farmed Salmon? Do you know where it was farmed-- Israel vs elsewhere...?. Or did it arrive flash frozen from the boats (like the stuff from Norway etc) and was thawed here?

      • dpgerver@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2012
          Does it happen that frozen fish is thawed here and sold as fresh?  Is that fish ok to eat?

          Debbie

          This is farmed Salmon? Do you know where it was farmed-- Israel vs elsewhere...?. Or did it arrive flash frozen from the boats (like the stuff from Norway etc) and was thawed here?

          --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, "osterhelen" <helen6@...> wrote:

          > In Shufersal Deal in Zichron Ya'acov today, whole fresh salmon are 49.99 / kg (usually 74.99, I think) I bought 2 and the lovely girl behind the counter cut each one into 14 fabulous slices for me.
          >
          > --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, Ruth Baks <PosUnltd@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I buy fresh Norwegian salmon, going to my fishmonger the day it ships
          > > in. I have him fillet the fish, and cut it up into the exact size
          > > portions I specify. At home, I wrap 2 or 3 portions per baggy, and
          > > pack all the baggies in an air tight freezer container. When I want
          > > to cook the salmon, I take out just the number of portions I require,
          > > and let these thaw. They come out fresh as the day they shipped in,
          > > with no loss of taste or texture. (By contrast, I've found that
          > > buying the salmon fillet here already frozen, and then thawing at
          > > home, results in watery fish, with a spongy feel. This wasn't the
          > > case some years ago, but somewhere along the line it changed.)
          > >
          > > I've been using this technique successfully for some time and there
          > > have been no health issues whatsoever.
          > >
          > > Ruth Baks
          > > Jerusalem
          > >
          > > At 5:10 AM -0700 5/30/12, Susan Trachtenberg wrote:
          > > >hi,
          > > >I used the recipe one of you suggested w. olive oil, honey and soy
          > > >sauce, then baking w the skin side up. it was great. 20 minutes at
          > > >150 degrees.
          > > >
          > > >one of you suggested buying the norwegian salmon, cutting it up, and
          > > >refreezing it. Everything i've ever heard says not t o refreeze
          > > >food. is there some new info i don't know about?
          > > >
          > > >Also, the skin is delicious when baked, and is full of omega 3. if
          > > >you're not queasy about it.
          > > >
          > > >Thanks for all the interesting ways of preparing things on the site.
          > > >
          > > > Susan TrachtenbergSent from my desktop

        • osterhelen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2012
            No idea; but it didn't look or taste pre-frozen to me. There is a huge salmon farm down the road from Zichron so maybe it was from there.