Elusive Pesach Food

  • Mirjam Weiss
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2012
      My husband and I spent Shabbat at the Dead Sea and were driving home late last night when we saw that the Rami Levy at the Kastina junction was open for business at 10:30 PM.  We went in for some Pesach shopping and I managed to get both white horseradish and matza farfel (they are calling it baked matza).  If they have it in one Rami Levy they should have it in all of them, no?

    • sara g
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1 12:16 AM
        i have found that white horseradish often has mayonnaise in it. did this one?

        it is easy to make in a food processor - white (without beets) or red (with beets.)
           chag sameach,
                  sara g

        --
        sara g in israel
        sarag@...

      • Mirjam Weiss
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1 12:28 AM
          Oops, didn't look, bought that one for a friend.

          I usually just grate the root on my Microplane zester (the one that makes ribbons) and that's good enough for us.

          On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 10:16 AM, sara g <sarag@...> wrote:

[...]

        • geoffrey mendelson
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1 1:25 AM
            On Apr 1, 2012, at 10:16 AM, sara g wrote:

            > i have found that white horseradish often has mayonnaise in it. did
            > this one?
            >
            > it is easy to make in a food processor - white (without beets) or
            > red (with beets.)
            > chag sameach,

            No, to both.

            White horseradish as sold in jars in the US, has horseradish, salt and
            vinegar. Horseradish SAUCE, as popularized by Roy Rodger's Roast Beef,
            and sold in delis here (such as the one on Palmach) is mayonnaise with
            a bit of horseradish in it. By the time you get it, there is no "bite".

            As for the homemade stuff, it does not taste the same. It has too much
            "bite", and the salt and vinegar flavors have not mixed in yet.

            There is something that is done by professional horseradish makers
            that is not the simple, grind, add salt and vinegar and mix that is
            elusive.

            BTW, the German stuff we got at the deli had milk in it, which gave it
            a nice flavor, but prevented us from using it on steaks, and with
            roastbeef.

            Geoff.

            --
            Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
            My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(