Re: [israel-food] Microwave-grill?

  • Sarah Lev-Ami Meir
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 29, 2004
      I had one and found the grill seriously flawed and eventually never used it.
      If your oven has died as well, and you're not in the mood to replace it, why
      not think about getting (1) simple and inexpensive (relatively!) microwave,
      and (2) one of the larger toaster-oven/grills that sits on the countertop.
      Then just about all your options are covered. My toaster-oven grills just
      fine.

      Sarah

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hello Shari!
        I'm using a combined microwave-grill for some years now and i really like it
        for some dishes.It's very usefull if you prepare dishes which have to cook
        longer in the oven,lasagne is a good example,you can save time and energy by
        using the microwave-grill combination (i prepare my lasagne as usuall with
        the lasagne noodles which you don't have to cook before,and then it takes 12
        to 15 minutes in the microwave (around 650W + 150 to 200 degC oven,you might
        have to try a little to find the right tuning).
        It's also very nice if you're not into cooking one evening and decide to
        have a deepfreeze pizza or so (everybody else here may forgive me for this
        suggestion,just forget that you've read it if it offends you *lol*),it
        comes lovely in only 3 to 4 minutes!
        A little tip at last:At my trip to Tel Aviv last summer i bought a
        microwave rice cooker" in a supermarket in Ramat Aviv,in the "Canyon"-Centre
        if this helps.It's a rubber container with a double closing on top.For two
        people i use one big cup of rice,two big cups of water and a bit salt and
        oil (plane sunflower,never tryed oliveoil yet because of the taste).I cook
        it on 850W for about 8 minutes (check when the water is gone,but carefull
        its very hot!) - the best rice i've ever made! You can use it for poatatoes
        and whole corn as well!
        Hope this gives you a little clue,greetz
        yaron

      • Marianne Meisels
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
          On 1 Mar 2004 at 7:52, Shari Ingerman wrote:

          > Hi all
          > My microwave died and I am wondering if I should replace it with a microwave with grill option rather than just a plain microwave. Does anyone have experience with the microwave-grill? If so, for or against? (Note that my oven also died (!) and it might not be worth fixing -- thankfully the stovetop burners are OK -- and I'm wondering if a microwave-grill might also replace the oven in a pinch.)
          > Thanks in advance for any advice.
          > Shari
          I'm on my second microwave/oven/grill combo in 7 years and for those
          with limited kitchen space (like me) I can highly recommend them. My
          first one was a Brother Combo (I don't remember the model number, but
          I believe they've stopped making that particular model) and both the
          microwave and oven worked quite well, though I wasn't enamored of the
          grill. Due to a combination of a lousy cleaning person followed by an
          incompetent one, it died after about 6 years. I replaced it with a
          deLonghi about 6 months ago and, though it was more expensive, it's
          an absolute delight!
          All the best,
          Marianne