sage

  • handyman@actcom.co.il
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 14, 2003
      Does anyone know what sage is called in Hebrew and where to buy it?

      Thanks

      Gershon Markowitz
      mailto:Handyman@...
      http://www.yadchaimtzvi.org
    • menucha
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 14, 2003
        sage is MARVA. You can buy it fresh in supermarkets (with the chilled
        herbs) or dried in health food stores.
        menucha

      • handyman@actcom.co.il
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 14, 2003
          Thanks, This list is a great idea!

          At 11:41 PM, 6/14/2003 +0200, you wrote:
          >sage is MARVA. You can buy it fresh in supermarkets (with the chilled
          >herbs) or dried in health food stores.
          >menucha
          >
          >handyman@... wrote:
          >
          > >Does anyone know what sage is called in Hebrew and where to buy it?
          > >
          > >Thanks
          > >

          > >Gershon Markowitz
          > >mailto:Handyman@...
          > >http://www.yadchaimtzvi.org

          Gershon Markowitz
          mailto:Handyman@...
          http://www.yadchaimtzvi.org

        • Sarah Meir
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 14, 2003
            Or the shuk.

            Sarah
            > sage is MARVA. You can buy it fresh in supermarkets (with the chilled
            > herbs) or dried in health food stores.
            > menucha
            >
            > handyman@... wrote:
            >
            > >Does anyone know what sage is called in Hebrew and where to buy it?
            > >
            > >Thanks
            > >

            > >Gershon Markowitz
            > >mailto:Handyman@...
            > >http://www.yadchaimtzvi.org

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Ilana Goldstein Saks
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 26, 2004
              Sorry - I don't know. But I thought I'd throw in an interesting
              etymological tidbit: Finding wild sage in the area of Yerushalaim is not
              surprising since one of the names for Yerushalaim - Moriah (i.e eretz
              hamoriah, har hamoriah - Bereishit 22:2; II Divrei HaYamim 3:1) is another
              form of the word Marva.
              see:
              1-
              http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:lmSH7uz1qfkJ:www.geocities.com/HotSprin
              gs/Bath/6482/Hebrew/plants/marva.html+%D7%9E%D7%A8%D7%95%D7%94,%D7%9E%D7%A8%
              D7%95%D7%95%D7%94,%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%94&hl=en

              2- http://www.n-k.org.il/Feat/plantlist.html

              Israel-food for thought. :-)

              Ilana

              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 26, 2004
                Ruth -

                I have a huge bush growing in my yard. I'll be glad to bring you some, and
                get some of that savory you once offered me at the same time.

                I live in Gush Etzion but work in Har Hotzvim. Give me a call.

                Chana Weiss
                054-3005414

                Speaking of sage, has anyone seen it growing wild around Jerusalem?
                I used to pick it in Gush Etzion where my friends used to live, but I
                don't drive out there anymore. I'd like to pick a basketful to dry,
                for future use. Any leads?...

                Ruth Baks
                Jerusalem

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/zvhylB/TM

              • Ruth Baks
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 27, 2004
                  fascinating!

                  ruth baks
                  jerusalem

                  At 9:13 PM +0200 12/26/04, Ilana Goldstein Saks wrote:
                  >Sorry - I don't know. But I thought I'd throw in an interesting
                  >etymological tidbit: Finding wild sage in the area of Yerushalaim is not
                  >surprising since one of the names for Yerushalaim - Moriah (i.e eretz
                  >hamoriah, har hamoriah - Bereishit 22:2; II Divrei HaYamim 3:1) is another
                  >form of the word Marva.
                  >see:
                  >1-
                  >http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:lmSH7uz1qfkJ:www.geocities.com/HotSprin
                  >gs/Bath/6482/Hebrew/plants/marva.html+%D7%9E%D7%A8%D7%95%D7%94,%D7%9E%D7%A8%
                  >D7%95%D7%95%D7%94,%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%94&hl=en
                  >
                  >2- http://www.n-k.org.il/Feat/plantlist.html
                  >
                  >Israel-food for thought. :-)
                  >
                  >Ilana

                • Ruth Baks
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 27, 2004
                    Chana, thanks for your kind offer.
                    However, I don't think it would be a fair swap (for you.)

                    I only have about 1/2 cup of dried savory left in my jar. So even if
                    I gave you half, it would not be much. What I am looking for is a
                    large quantity of sage - like a huge basketful - because after drying
                    it reduces to 1/3 its weight, then after removing sticks and stems it
                    shrinks down to a much smaller quantity. Therefore I need to start
                    with a large amount, that's why I want to pick it. I also have a
                    friend out in the Gush who offered to bring me some from her bush,
                    but I don't want to trouble anyone with this chore, as it is time
                    consuming to cut, scratchy to handle and bulky to transport.

                    So if anyone happens to see it growing in the Jerusalem area, please
                    give me a heads up!

                    Ruth Baks
                    Jerusalem

                    P.S. If you live in the Gush and have the land and the sunshine, why
                    not plant savory outside your door? The nurseries often have herb
                    sections, eg. Bayit Yarok in Motsa. It is inexpensive to buy a small
                    starter plant, and you will derive much pleasure (and flavor!) from
                    growing your own. (Alternatively, my offer still stands: if you come
                    to the Rova, I will be happy to share my stash.)

                    At 7:25 AM +0200 12/27/04, steve and/or chana weiss wrote:
                    >Ruth -
                    >
                    >I have a huge bush growing in my yard. I'll be glad to bring you some, and
                    >get some of that savory you once offered me at the same time.
                    >
                    >I live in Gush Etzion but work in Har Hotzvim. Give me a call.
                    >
                    >Chana Weiss
                    >054-3005414

                  • Ilana Goldstein Saks
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 27, 2004
                      What is savory used for? What flavor does it have? What is it called in
                      Hebrew?
                      Thanks, Ilana
                      However, I don't think it would be a fair swap (for you.)

                      I only have about 1/2 cup of dried savory left in my jar. So even if
                      I gave you half, it would not be much. What I am looking for is a
                      large quantity of sage - like a huge basketful - because after drying
                      it reduces to 1/3 its weight, then after removing sticks and stems it
                      shrinks down to a much smaller quantity. Therefore I need to start
                      with a large amount, that's why I want to pick it. I also have a
                      friend out in the Gush who offered to bring me some from her bush,
                      but I don't want to trouble anyone with this chore, as it is time
                      consuming to cut, scratchy to handle and bulky to transport.

                      So if anyone happens to see it growing in the Jerusalem area, please
                      give me a heads up!

                      Ruth Baks
                      Jerusalem

                      P.S. If you live in the Gush and have the land and the sunshine, why
                      not plant savory outside your door? The nurseries often have herb
                      sections, eg. Bayit Yarok in Motsa. It is inexpensive to buy a small
                      starter plant, and you will derive much pleasure (and flavor!) from
                      growing your own. (Alternatively, my offer still stands: if you come
                      to the Rova, I will be happy to share my stash.)

                      At 7:25 AM +0200 12/27/04, steve and/or chana weiss wrote:
                      >Ruth -
                      >
                      >I have a huge bush growing in my yard. I'll be glad to bring you some, and
                      >get some of that savory you once offered me at the same time.
                      >
                      >I live in Gush Etzion but work in Har Hotzvim. Give me a call.
                      >
                      >Chana Weiss
                      >054-3005414

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      ---
                      [E-mail scanned for viruses]

                      ---
                      [E-mail scanned for viruses]
                    • Ruth Baks
                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 27, 2004
                        Summer Savory (Satureja hortensis L.)

                        botanically: tsatara (tzaddik-taf-resh-heh)
                        common Hebrew: Naadj (nun-aleph-dalet-gimmel with a 'chupchi')

                        Savory is an aromatic herb of the mint family. It has an intense
                        flavour, which could be compared to a very strong thyme with peppery
                        overtones.

                        The fresh and dried herb is used to season tomato sauces, sausages,
                        meat and egg dishes (like deviled eggs.) Savory is also an excellent
                        flavoring for all sorts of beans and legumes, and is often used by
                        Europeans in bean dishes to prevent gas. (Its German name is
                        Bohnenkraut or bean herb, as one of its medicinal properties is an
                        antiflatulent.) It's often added to vegetarian dishes, like
                        potatoes or mushrooms. Europeans, especially use Savory in bouquet
                        garni, and sometimes also include it in the French spice mixture
                        herbes de Provence. Savory combines well with herbs such as basil,
                        marjoram, parsley, chervil, sage and rosemary. It's a strong herb
                        and a little goes a long way.

                        Ruth Baks
                        Jerusalem

                      • dpgerver@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 23, 2005
                          I'd like to make a recipe that calls for the herb savory. I haven't been
                          able to find it at spice shops or grocery stores. Any other ideas? Also what
                          would be a good substitute?

                          Debbie

                        • Mirjam Dorn
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 23, 2005
                            I did a Search By Ingredient on Recipezaar, came up
                            with quite a few recipes that have savory as an
                            ingredient. Here's the link, hope it helps:

                            http://www.recipezaar.com/search/search.zsp?area=foods&query=savory

                            -- Mirj

                          • dpgerver@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 23, 2005
                              I was actually looking for an herb that could be substituted for savory. I
                              have found one recipe that indicates that thyme can be used instead of savory.
                              I'll give thyme a try.

                              Debbie

                            • Toby Curwin
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 23, 2005
                                Don't laugh, but someone once told me that savory is zaatar. I didn't
                                believe it; Zaatar always seems so Mediterranean and exotic, and savory so
                                old-fashioned and American. I didn't have anything else to try, so I went
                                ahead and substituted...and it worked! (Would you believe Thanksgiving
                                Stuffing with Zaatar?) It tasted just right.

                                Good luck-
                                -Toby

                                I was actually looking for an herb that could be substituted for savory. I
                                have found one recipe that indicates that thyme can be used instead of
                                savory.
                                I'll give thyme a try.

                                Debbie

                                ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Take
                                a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for anyone who
                                cares about public education!
                                http://us.click.yahoo.com/O.5XsA/8WnJAA/E2hLAA/zvhylB/TM
                              • Ruth Baks
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 23, 2005
                                  At 11:01 AM -0500 2/23/05, dpgerver@... wrote:
                                  >I'd like to make a recipe that calls for the herb savory. I haven't been
                                  >able to find it at spice shops or grocery stores. Any other ideas? Also what
                                  >would be a good substitute?
                                  >
                                  >Debbie

                                  Savory is an aromatic herb of the mint family. It has an intense
                                  flavor, similar to a very strong thyme with peppery overtones.
                                  Because savory is a strong herb, you don't need to use very much,
                                  otherwise it will overpower the flavor of the dish.

                                  For a simple substitute, I'd recommend using thyme plus an extra dash
                                  of white pepper.

                                  The plant is called in Hebrew: tsatra (tzaddik-taf-resh-heh.)
                                  Arabic name: Naadj (nun-aleph-dalet-gimmel with a 'chupchi'.)

                                  It's a relative of zatar, which is a wild thyme, or hyssop.
                                  Actually, these three herbs, (savory, thyme and hyssop) were the
                                  predominant herbs used here in ancient times .

                                  I've never bought savory so haven't investigated commercial sources;
                                  I've picked it in the Galil and dried a small supply, which I keep in
                                  a jar. You may try checking health food stores; they often carry an
                                  array of special herbs that are organically grown. Another idea:
                                  check with homeopathic pharmacies - they carry all sorts of medicinal
                                  herbs. Ask for Satureja Hortensis (botanical name for summer savory.)

                                  You may also consider growing savory in your garden or in a pot on a
                                  sunny window sill; it only grows to be about 12 inches in height.
                                  Check with a nursery.

                                  Wait. I just did a Google search for 'savory herbs israel' and found
                                  a supplier. Here's the website: http://www.supherbs.co.il/list.html
                                  - the company is Supherbs and they sell medicinal plants. I checked
                                  their plant list and they carry Satureja hortensis (summer savory.)

                                  I don't know anything about this company, nor its products, but here
                                  is their contact info:

                                  SupHerbs
                                  Medicinal plants
                                  P.O. Box 49, Moshav Zippori, 17910, Israel
                                  tel 04-6464848, 052-2251831
                                  tel-fax: : 04-6461526
                                  E-mail: gan@...

                                  Now, a different source - this time for fresh herbs:
                                  http://www.israflora.com/fresh-herbs.htm
                                  IsraFlora is a company dealing with agricultural export, and they are
                                  growing fresh savory right here in Israel.

                                  They offer a 'contact us' link - perhaps check with them to learn if
                                  they have distributors for the domestic market. If not, they may be
                                  able to point you to other growers who do.

                                  Good luck!

                                  Ruth Baks
                                  Jerusalem
                                • Ruth Baks
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 24, 2005
                                    Don't laugh, but savory is an ancient herb prominent in the
                                    Mediterranean region, widely used in bible days. The female plant is
                                    called in Hebrew: tsatra, while the male plant is called zatar. A
                                    bit confusing. Actually the two herbs are related, belonging to the
                                    same family. Some people refer to hyssop as zatar, some refer to the
                                    wild thyme. The term zatar is rather tricky because most people
                                    associate the term with the popular ground spice blend by the same
                                    name, which includes the herb, plus a few additional ingredients,
                                    inc. sumac, sesame and salt. I'm assuming what you used in your
                                    stuffing was the herb itself, and not the ground spice blend called
                                    zatar, because the latter would taste quite different from savory.
                                    Regardless, what matters most is that you were pleased with the
                                    results.

                                    Ruth Baks
                                    Jerusalem

                                    At 11:34 PM +0200 2/23/05, Toby Curwin wrote:
                                    >Don't laugh, but someone once told me that savory is zaatar. I didn't
                                    >believe it; Zaatar always seems so Mediterranean and exotic, and savory so
                                    >old-fashioned and American. I didn't have anything else to try, so I went
                                    >ahead and substituted...and it worked! (Would you believe Thanksgiving
                                    >Stuffing with Zaatar?) It tasted just right.
                                    >
                                    >Good luck-
                                    >-Toby

                                  • Viviane B.
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 24, 2005
                                      I don't understand why use a substitude, when savory
                                      is available in Israel.

                                      Well, not all the time but I find it at the grocer
                                      in rehov ha haruv in Machanneh Yehudah shuk and it is
                                      called Marzel-Nothing in common with Baruch Marzel,
                                      but a wrong spelling from Persian : Marzeh

                                      At the same place you can find costmary, garlic
                                      chives, reyhan-basil, tarragon, fresh fenugreek in
                                      season, and now they even have fresh garlic which
                                      looks like a rosy scallion and many other

                                      Vivi
                                      Jerusalem

                                      =====
                                      "Never, go back to a place where you have been happy. Until you do it remains alive for you.If you go back it will be destroyed."

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 24, 2005
                                        --- Ruth Baks <PosUnltd@...> wrote:

                                        > Please go to http//: www. recipezaar.com for recipes
                                        on Savory. Herb

                                      • Ruth Baks
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 16, 2009
                                          sage
                                          Dear foodies, particularly those of you living out in the Gush, or other wild and wooly rural areas where sage bushes grow in abundance.  Would your wild and wooly sage bushes be in need of pruning, right about now?  If so, I would love to be a recipient of a sack of fresh sage.  These I will dry on the stalk and then discard twigs and stem.  I store the dried leaves in glass jars to be used year round for cooking.

                                          I'd like to do this soon, before the rains begin.  (If picked when damp, mold sets in and much of the harvested crop is lost.)

                                          Will be happy to exchange spices in return, or a bottle of Sababa, my private label coffee liqueur.

                                          Anyone?...

                                          Ruth Baks
                                          Jerusalem
                                        • Ruth Baks
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 11, 2014
                                            sage
                                            Shavua tov foodies!
                                            Anyone notice sage growing wild where I could forage?

                                            I do this every couple of years or so, then dry the leaves for later use.

                                            I will be driving to Neve Daniel before shabbat, and know sage often grows wild in the gush area.  If anyone can advise me of any sage sightings on my route driving up from Yerushalayim, that would be great.

                                            TIA
                                            Ruth Baks
                                            Jerusalem

                                          • Caroline Tabach
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 11, 2014

                                              What is it called in ivrit

                                              On 11 במאי 2014 14:08, "Ruth Baks PosUnltd@... [israel-food]" <israel-food@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                              Shavua tov foodies!
                                              Anyone notice sage growing wild where I could forage?

                                              I do this every couple of years or so, then dry the leaves for later use.

                                              I will be driving to Neve Daniel before shabbat, and know sage often grows wild in the gush area.  If anyone can advise me of any sage sightings on my route driving up from Yerushalayim, that would be great.

                                              TIA
                                              Ruth Baks
                                              Jerusalem

                                            • Sharon Beth-Halachmy
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 11, 2014
                                                Marva

                                                Sent from my iPhone

                                                On May 11, 2014, at 2:10 PM, "Caroline Tabach ctabach@... [israel-food]" <israel-food@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                What is it called in ivrit

                                                On 11 במאי 2014 14:08, "Ruth Baks PosUnltd@... [israel-food]" <israel-food@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                                Shavua tov foodies!
                                                Anyone notice sage growing wild where I could forage?

                                                I do this every couple of years or so, then dry the leaves for later use.

                                                I will be driving to Neve Daniel before shabbat, and know sage often grows wild in the gush area.  If anyone can advise me of any sage sightings on my route driving up from Yerushalayim, that would be great.

                                                TIA
                                                Ruth Baks
                                                Jerusalem

                                                <P2BE186A1.png>

                                                <P2BE186A1 1.png>

                                              • Marc Gottlieb
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 11, 2014
                                                  Marvah

                                                  http://cooking.marcgottlieb.com/charts/

                                                  Marc

                                                  --
                                                  Marc Gottlieb
                                                  marc@...
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 11, 2014
                                                    Re: [israel-food] sage
                                                    Marvah

                                                    At 2:10 PM +0300 5/11/14, Caroline Tabach ctabach@... [israel-food] wrote:

                                                    What is it called in ivrit
                                                    On 11 ·ÓýÈÝ2014Ý14:08¨Ý¢Ruth Baks PosUnltd@... [israel-food]" <israel-food@yahoogroups.com > wrote:

                                                    Shavua tov foodies!
                                                    Anyone notice sage growing wild where I could forage?

                                                    I do this every couple of years or so, then dry the leaves for later use.

                                                    I will be driving to Neve Daniel before shabbat, and know sage often grows wild in the gush area.  If anyone can advise me of any sage sightings on my route driving up from Yerushalayim, that would be great.

                                                    TIA
                                                    Ruth Baks
                                                    Jerusalem

                                                  • rina_schrad
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 11, 2014
                                                      Hello Ruth,
                                                      I have a very large bush in my garden. I live in Efrat and you are welcome to take as much as you want.
                                                      Rina
                                                    • cara_bereck
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , May 11, 2014
                                                        Yes, on Neve Ilan. There is some growing on the side of the main road leading to the hotel, right before Rechov HaHar HaYarok, as well as za'atar.
                                                        If you drive down the dirt road, leading past Kedma, there is a lot of both, when you come to the fork in the road. There are terraces where there are sage, za'atar, and I think there may also be some oregano still, though it tends to come up earlier.

                                                      • Ruth Baks
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , May 15, 2014
                                                          Re: [israel-food] sage
                                                          Thank you Rina!

                                                          What is your address, and cel #?

                                                          I'm driving to Neve Daniel tomorrow before shabbat and will be staying for 2 nights, until Sunday morning.

                                                          Would Sunday morning be a good time for me to come by?  It wouldn't be too early, as I have to be in Jerusalem for an appointment at 12.

                                                          Please be in touch.

                                                          Thank you again!

                                                          Ruth
                                                          050.7733.766