Re: [israel-food] question from non-israeli - What is the English name for Ketzar

  • Mirjam Weiss
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30 11:55 PM
      Do you mean ketzach?  Black, not brown seeds.  In English they are known as nigella seeds and I put them on top of bread, not in.

      Hope this helps,

      On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 9:20 AM, bubcrap <bubcrap@...> wrote:

      hi,

      I got some brown seeds from an Israeli friend by the Hebrew name of 'Ketzar' or something. He said they were good for putting in home-made bread.

      Does anybody have a clue what the English name might be?

      Love to you all

      xxx
      bub

    • Ilana Saks

        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2011
          I think you mean ketsach (קצח) and I've seen it defined as black cumin and nigella, neither of which names I'm familiar with.
          It is good in home made bread - I've used it.

          Shelly

        • Miriam
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2011

            Ketzach is nigella seeds. Spicy. Popular on Arabic flatbreads and on crackers.

            Miriam

            I got some brown seeds from an Israeli friend by the Hebrew name of 'Ketzar' or something. He said they were good for putting in home-made bread.

            Does anybody have a clue what the English name might be?

            Love to you all

            xxx
            bub

          • cara_bereck
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2011
              Try this, which I think I adopted from one of Madhur Jaffery's recipes:

              Heat up a wok or pan, toss in a bit of oil, add string beans or cabbage.

              When the vegetables are done to your liking (I like them crisp, with a few brown spots), push them to the side, add a bit more oil and some crushed garlic.

              Let fry for a minute, then add ketzach, let it heat up, then add a half teaspoon of garam masala or similar spices. Toss with vegies.

              If I'm using cabbage of cauliflower, I also add a little tumeric for color.
              Cara